Copley-Fairlawn board handles routine business
Days following the mass school shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, Copley-Fairlawn City Schools Superintendent Brian Poe thanked administrators and staff for a smooth start to the school week.
Poe, at the Board of Education’s Dec. 18 meeting, said he thought the building principals and staff did an outstanding job and was pleased students were greeted by the “warm smiling faces” of staff members who welcomed them back.
The board took care of routine business at its last meeting of 2012.
On recommendation of Treasurer John Wheadon, the board approved a contract with Orchard, Hiltz and McCliment Inc. (OHM), an integrated engineering, architecture and planning firm based in Michigan, for engineering and design services. The district plans to replace or repair roofs on all buildings, said Wheadon. OHM will be paid 7 percent of the project total, Wheadon said. The project is estimated to be as much as $2 million, he added.
The board also approved hiring three teachers to monitor an online math intervention program. Rebecca Leopold, Fort Island Primary School; Andrea Sanchez, Arrowhead Primary School; and Michelle Quinlan, Herberich Primary School, will monitor students who use the online program at home. Poe said the program should help the district meet its adequate yearly progress (AYP) goals.
The board also honored students of the month for November, which include:
√ Arrowhead Primary School: fourth-grader Crystal Idley II, the daughter of Thomas and Crystal Idley;
√ Fort Island Primary School: fourth-grader Michael Gerst, the son of Mike and Nicole Gerst;
√ Herberich Primary School: fourth-grader George Manos, the son of Jack and Yvonne Manos;
√ Copley-Fairlawn Middle School: sixth-grader Destiny Reed, the daughter of Jolana Dawson; and
√ Copley High School: freshman Tony Elias, the son of George and Ruth Elias.
Board member Jessica Vargo was named president pro-tempore from Jan. 1 until the board has its organizational meeting Jan. 10.
The board also approved 2013 compensation for board members at the maximum rate permitted by law per meeting. Members are limited to payment for 28 meetings per year.
In other business, the board:
• accepted a donation of film, photo paper and photo developing supplies from Ed Wolff for use by Copley High School photography classes;
• approved overnight field trips for the Copley High School Academic Challenge Team. The team will travel May 24-26 to the National Academic Quiz Tournament in Atlanta and June 8-10 to the National Academic Challenge Tournament in Chicago;
• approved an out-of-state professional development trip Dec. 25 to Jan. 1 to China for Chinese teacher Pingfen Sung. The trip is funded by a Hanban/Confucius grant;
• approved a payment in lieu of transportation for two students;
• granted unpaid parental leave to Andrea Moore effective Jan. 16 through Feb. 21;
• accepted the resignations of educational assistant Valerie Hibbs, cafeteria worker Linda Holbrook and custodian Vivian Parent;
• approved athletic coaches for spring, including head coaches Scott Gabor, boys track; Melissa Virgei, girls track; Michael Chuppa, baseball; Glenn McCoy, softball; and Mark Ullman, boys tennis;
• accepted the resignation of Ron Viscounte as winter weight room supervisor and hired Christopher Meyer as his replacement;
• hired custodian Mark Campbell; and
• hired substitute classified and certified personnel.
The next regular Copley-Fairlawn Board of Education meeting will take place Jan. 10 at 7 p.m. in the Main Office Conference Room at Copley High School, 3797 Ridgewood Road.
More Education News
- FHS students sail cardboard vessels in annual race
- Firestone, Litchfield construction bids OK’d
- State education mandates on Woodridge agenda
- Principal, district resident receive Pride Awards
- Springfield district continuing site improvements
- Manchester school board honors retiring treasurer
- Treasurer preparing five-year financial forecast
- Fundraiser for Coventry foundation a success
Calendar of Events
- Apollo’s Fire - 4/24/2014
- “Bye Bye Birdie” - 4/24/2014
- Alzheimer’s Association Caregiver Support Group - 4/24/2014
- Delicious, Healthful Olive Oil - 4/24/2014
- Open House - 4/24/2014