West Side Education News & Notes
Entries being sought for six creative contests
AKRON — Several creative contests for children now are under way for April’s 26th Annual Child & Family Awareness Month celebration coordinated by Summit County Children Services (SCCS).
The six individual contests are part of a month-long effort to help build a solid foundation of community support for children and families and help raise the awareness of child abuse prevention.
Children in kindergarten through fifth grade can participate in a poster/slogan contest completing the phrase “A Family Is …” The grand-prize winning poster/slogan will be used as the theme for the 27th Annual Child & Family Awareness Month in April 2014.
Children in sixth through eighth grades can participate in two different contests: the storybook and public service announcement (PSA) contests, with entries to cover the topic “A Family Is Timeless,” which is the slogan for the upcoming 26th Annual Child & Family Awareness Month celebration.
Youths in ninth through 12th grades are invited to participate in three separate contests: jingle/song/rap, essay and poetry contests focusing on the phrase “A Family Is …”
The deadline for all entries is Feb. 1. Entries should be sent to SCCS, 264 S. Arlington St., Akron, OH 44306. Contest winners will be recognized at an awards ceremony March 31 (invitations will be mailed to the winners and their families).
Winners will receive gift cards and awards, and the winning entries will be on display in April at a prominent public location to be announced.
For more information on the Child & Family Awareness Month Creative Contests, contact Sandy DeLuca at 330-379-1994 or sdeluca@summit kids.org.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Education News
- ‘Conceptual agreement’ reached with Copley teachers union
- Revere board approves lunch price increase
- Woodridge seeking raffle car to help fund activities
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Green offering breakfast for all students
- APS focus on digital needs, offerings
- Manchester officials considering new bus purchase
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014