Green Primary teachers integrate iPads into instruction
|Photo courtesy of Green Primary School|
Instructional rounds are based on the work of Richard Elmore, a Harvard University professor who adapted ideas from the professional practice of medical rounds used by doctors, according to GPS Principal Kevin Finefrock. Finefrock said GPS teachers worked in groups of six to observe and collect data in classrooms.
Shown above right is second-grade teacher Joy Dearing (second from left) and two of her students, Makenna Jurkowski and Evie Pryor, discussing an application called Scribble Press with first-grade teachers, from left, MaryLynn Rockwood, Steve Katonka, Melenie Mizener, Barb Pursley and Marlene McCloskey. Scribble Press allows students to create and share their own stories on the iPad.
“The professional development day aimed at enhancing instruction through the usage of iPads was definitely a success,” said Finefrock. “We have a talented team of teachers, and I deeply appreciated their willingness to open up their classrooms and share ideas with their colleagues. An important part of our vision at GPS is to offer our students an elite technology experience. Our team is deeply committed to utilizing the iPads in a way that is engaging to students.”
Finefrock added teachers gave the session a score of 5.7 score out of 6.
GPS has 162 iPads and access to nearly 300 applications that are integrated into classroom instruction, according to Finefrock. Local businessman Randy Theken, the father of a GPS student, last year donated 90 iPads to the school.
More Education News
- Lippman School, Cheyenne Nation share cultures
- APS plans to expand services to gifted students
- Revere board asking state for charter school accountability
- Woodridge honors seniors, retirees, board member
- West Side Education News & Notes
- AAUW hosts STEM program for girls
- Acme, RubberDucks reward Green Primary readers
- PLCC students honored
- Springfield softball team captures league crown
Calendar of Events
- Kinderealm: Migration: for ages 3-6 - 5/29/2015
- Cuyahoga Valley Photographic Society - 5/29/2015
- Any Way You Want It with Broken Promise - 5/29/2015
- Full Moon Fever with Mo Mojo - 5/29/2015
- A New Adventure - 5/30/2015