Norton board hires student services director
The Norton City Schools Board of Education hired a familiar face as director of student services at the regular meeting Jan. 28.
Eric Morris, the current principal for Norton Primary School, will fill that position. The board approved a three-year contract for him, effective from Aug. 1 to July 31, 2016.
Morris has been with the district 17 years and worked as a science and social studies teacher prior to becoming principal, he said.
Superintendent David Dunn offered his congratulations. Dunn said the district is fortunate to have Morris take over the position.
“He’s impacted a lot of people at the primary school,” he added.
In other action, the board:
• approved a month-to-month lease agreement between the school district and residents of 3874 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road, until June 15. The home is one of four in a row recently purchased by the district, according to Treasurer Stephanie Hagenbush;
• noted board members’ committee assignments, including Pat Santelli (chair) and Diane Farmer on Community Engagement; Farmer (chair) and Jim Bennett on Finance; Jim Bennett (chair) and Jennifer Bennett on Instruction and Technology; Cindy Webel (chair) and Santelli on Operations; and Jennifer Bennett (chair) and Webel on Policy;
• approved additional personnel items, including the resignation of preschool teacher Kara Geig and employment of Norton Middle School intervention specialists David Oravec Jr. and Kevin Aurand, and bus driver Ray Bischoff;
• approved the 2013-14 High School Curriculum Guide;
• approved the calendar for the 2013-14 school year. Aug. 22 will be the first day of school, and June 4 will be the last day for students, according to the document; and
• accepted a donation of $500 to be used for the E.A. Seiberling Scholarship Fund donated by Dale Seiberling.
Also during the meeting, several presentations were made, including three songs performed by the seventh- and eighth-grade Jazz Band.
Following the concert, board members took a tour of Norton Middle School.
Cornerstone Principal Julie Gulley then gave a presentation outlining the “Leader in Me” program her school has implemented this school year. The program focuses on one of the “Seven Habits of Highly Effective People,” a book written by Stephen Covey, each month, she said.
January students of the month also were recognized, including kindergartener Lucas Foote, from Cornerstone Elementary; second-grader Logan Mullins, from Grill Elementary; first-grader Kali Mognet, from Norton Primary; fifth-grader Isabelle Croft, from Norton Middle School; and junior Anthony Rinaldo, from Norton High School.
Middle School visual arts teacher Chuck Fowler told the story behind Isabelle’s nomination. He said visual arts student teacher J.J. Thornberry created a holiday card printing lesson for her fifth-grade classes, and each student created cards for personal use and one to send to troops in Afghanistan. 1st Sgt. Dennis Gossard chose Isabelle’s card as his favorite, and she received a certificate and the American flag that flew over Gossard’s base in Afghanistan, said Fowler.
The next Committee of the Whole meeting is set for Feb. 11 at 6 p.m. at the Administration Building, 4128 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road, and the next regular school board meeting is set for Feb. 25 at 7:30 p.m. in the Norton High School Media Center, 4108 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road.
More Education News
- APS officials not worried about making up snow days
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Norton school board approves contract for treasurer
- St. Hilary School teacher honored
- Revere C.A.R.E. hosting Malley’s fundraiser
- Highland district to benefit from new tax abatement
- Highland Pride Committee accepting nominations
- Snow day issues raised in Akron
- APS to create health career academy
Calendar of Events
- American Sewing Guild Fairlawn Group - 3/3/2015
- Civic Engagement and Managing Water Resources in Northeast Ohio and Globally - 3/3/2015
- The Nile Project: Interactive Performance & Capstone Concert - 3/3/2015
- Ohio and Erie Canal: A Timeline - 3/4/2015
- Alan Greene and T.C. Odegard - 3/4/2015