Global Scholars program introduces students to foreign officials
|Photo courtesy of Akron Council on World Affairs|
Thirty students attending from Buchtel, Ellet and Firestone high schools discussed political and economic topics related to the United States and the European Union (EU). Focus was on the United States and France working together with commitment to democratic values and free economies as major changes take place in other parts of the world.
This ACWA program challenges leadership students to qualify for participation by preparing themselves in extracurricular sessions in their schools. Teachers acting as advisers are: Darrius Alati, Buchtel; James Jackson, Ellet; and Jill Regenos, Firestone. Ten students from each school fulfill the requirements for attending, working with curricula provided by ACWA. Students study the topics scheduled and complete assignments.
A specific topic for Global Scholars’ meeting with Paul was France’s historic and present day relationship with the U.S. This included the challenges and goals of the current intervention in Mali to counter Islamic rebels. Students also discussed choices in foreign language study. Students asked Paul about the daily lives and interests of students in France and their own opportunities for studying there.
Paul, who is shown at left talking with participating students, traveled from his office in Chicago for this session and to be interviewed for WZIP 88.1 FM’s Community Concerns program by Jane Walker Snider, ACWA executive director. He also spoke to people from the Akron area in an evening program at the Hilton Akron/Fairlawn.
For more information, visit www.akronworldaffairs.org. The radio interviews with 14 visitor diplomats to date can be accessed at www.akronworldaffairs.org/resources/resources.html.
More Education News
- Highland board revisits school rebuilding project
- Revere High School hosting Marching Band Invitational
- Revere celebrates five National Merit semifinalists
- Old Trail students find rare caterpillar
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Manchester officials discuss state report card results
- District recognizes board member
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Halloween Wreath - 9/27/2016
- Disaster Preparedness: Are You Ready - 9/27/2016
- Emerson String Quartet - 9/27/2016
- Hooked on Books for Teens and Tweens - 9/27/2016
- Cake Decorating - 9/27/2016