• WEST AKRON — Emmanuel Christian Academy will present “The Talking Drum,” its Annual Black History Program. Students will perform tomorrow, Feb. 22, at 6:30 p.m. at The House of the Lord. The students will creatively interpret the history of the drum in the African-American community through theater, dance and song. For more information or for $7 tickets for the Soul Food Dinner that evening, call 330-836-7182, ext. 200, or email email@example.com.
• FAIRLAWN — Faith Preschool will host a Drive-In Movie Matinee Open House Feb. 23 from 3 to 5 p.m. Prospective preschool families are welcome to bring their preschooler to an indoor drive-in movie experience while the parents and teachers chat, take a tour of the school, answer questions and perhaps register for fall classes, according to school officials. Faith is located at 2726 W. Market St. For more information, contact Dineen Dowling at 330-836-8827 or faithpreschool@sbc global.net.
• WEST AKRON — The Firestone High School (FHS) Instrumental Music Association will present the annual SoupFest Feb. 28 from 4:30 to 7 p.m. in the FHS cafeteria at 333 Rampart Ave. The event will feature soup from area restaurants, a dessert and beverage. Tickets are $7.50, or $4 for children 10 and younger. Tickets will be available at the door.
• MEDINA COUNTY — Highland Local Schools is now accepting preschool applications for typically developing 3-, 4- and 5-year-old children for the 2013-14 school year. The preschool program is located at Granger Elementary School and runs for two full school days per week (Monday/Wednesday session or Tuesday/Thursday session). The cost is $110 per month. In order to register, the child must be 3 years old by Aug. 1. Call 330-239-1901, ext. 1256, or stop by any Highland elementary school to obtain an application. Space is limited, and all applications must be returned by March 1.
• FAIRLAWN — In observance of Catholic Schools Week Jan. 27 through Feb. 2, fourth-graders in St. Hilary School’s Jamie Kovarik’s class communicated via Skype with fourth-graders at St. Hilary School in Tiburon, Calif., Jan. 31. Students at both schools had prepared questions to ask each other to help facilitate the conversation, and they chatted for about 20 minutes to learn about each other’s classes, extracurricular programs, lunches, school uniforms and more, according to St. Hilary officials. The initial connection was broadcast over the classroom SMART Board, but after audio issues arose, the students used an iPad to chat.
• RICHFIELD/BATH — Revere Community C.A.R.E. is holding a Malley’s Chocolates spring fundraiser. A special website has been set up by Malley’s for Revere Community C.A.R.E., and all purchases made on that site will directly benefit C.A.R.E. Profit will be based on total number of sales, according to organizers. Orders will be shipped directly to the customer, and any orders over $50 to one continental U.S. address will qualify for free shipping. The deadline for ordering is March 25. To connect to the special website, go to www.malleys.com/revere-commu nity-care. Revere Community C.A.R.E. addresses potential at-risk behaviors and supports activities that encourage positive self-esteem, healthy life choices, nonviolence and asset building in youth. It also provides funds to help support the groups P.A.N.D.A. at Revere Middle School and Teen Institute at Revere High School, provides a $500 scholarship to a drug-and-alcohol-free Revere High School senior, contributes toward the Revere High School After Prom Party and presents programs on issues of concern for parents and community members. For additional information, call Karen at 330-659-4750.
More Education News
- Lippman School, Cheyenne Nation share cultures
- APS plans to expand services to gifted students
- Revere board asking state for charter school accountability
- Woodridge honors seniors, retirees, board member
- West Side Education News & Notes
- AAUW hosts STEM program for girls
- Acme, RubberDucks reward Green Primary readers
- PLCC students honored
- Springfield softball team captures league crown
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure - 5/30/2015
- Yoga for Kids: ages 6-10 - 5/30/2015
- Archery Games for Kids: ages 9-12 - 5/30/2015
- Warm and Hot in Peninsula - 5/30/2015
- Doo Wop Legends in Concert - 5/30/2015