Springfield district continuing technology upgrades
Springfield Local School District officials are bringing plans to increase the use of technology into its new school building.
The new $42 million building for students in seventh through 12th grades is under construction and expected to be complete for the start of the next school year, according to Superintendent William Stauffer.
At the Feb. 19 Springfield Board of Education meeting, Technology Director Dustin Boswell presented information on three different pieces of electronic equipment that would display photos of past and future graduating students.
District officials decided at the last meeting to consider the idea of the use of an electronic format to display the photos as a means to save money and space in the new building, and Boswell was asked to gather information of available technology to do that.
Boswell recommended the board consider the first of the three possible pieces presented, which he said would best withstand public use. The equipment includes a 37-inch screen that users could access to request photos of certain graduates or display all graduates. Two units would cost about $2,500, and the equipment would be placed in the community room or the lobby, according to district officials.
District officials are working on the final stages of the construction project that includes this item.
“The opening of the new building is coming fast, and there is a lot to do,” said Stauffer.
Board members decided to review the information presented before approving a purchase.
Stauffer also reported the administrative staff was scheduled to complete the move into its new offices at 2410 Massillon Road today, Feb. 22. The 5,000-square-foot building on almost 2 acres was purchased from Marantha Bible Church for $300,000 last June in anticipation of the demolition of its current building, and the district has been refurbishing it.
Also at the meeting, Treasurer Chris Adams reported real estate collections are better than projected and the district is expected to collect between $200,000 and $300,000 from casino revenue.
“This is not a big windfall,” said board member Bobby Dinkins. “We are getting some dollars and that is nice.
Adams added one teacher plus benefits costs the district $70,000 annually.
Business Manager Dan Laskos presented a schedule for the demolition of the last buildings in the district. That schedule starts with final abatement of the Administration Building and main building May 28, followed by their demolition about one week later; abatement of the Central Building on June 3, followed by its demolition about one week later; and abatement at the high school June 21, followed by its demolition shortly after. The last day anyone will be allowed into that building is June 9.
Laskos said a final tour and open house of the high school for the public is scheduled for May 11, with details about that event to come.
In other business, the board approved:
- the resignation of teacher Pete Calco, effective Jan. 28; bus drivers Dwayne Ray, effective early March, and Christina Gray, effective Jan. 31; and classified employees Jackie Burkett and Ruth Dague, effective Jan. 29;
- the hiring of seven individuals, including a home instructor, educational assistant, part-time cafeteria worker, two part-time playground monitors, a substitute bus driver/monitor and a substitute monitor, and a list of classified substitutes;
- supplemental contracts for eight spring sports coaches and the use of six volunteer coaches; and
- membership in the Ohio School Boards Association (OSBA), at a cost of $5,850, as well as joining the OSBA Legal Assistance Fund, at a cost of $250.
The next Springfield Board of Education meeting is scheduled for March 19 at 6 p.m. in the cafeteria at Schrop Intermediate School, 2215 Pickle Road.
More Education News
Calendar of Events
- PAWS for Reading with service dog Molly - 10/1/2014
- The Wiggles - 10/1/2014
- Cajun Dinner and Concert with Steve Riley & the Mamou Playboys - 10/1/2014
- “Shane” - 10/2/2014
- Putting Your Garden to Bed - 10/2/2014