Copley-Fairlawn buildings to get roof replacements, repairs
School buildings in the Copley-Fairlawn City Schools will get nearly $1 million in roof repairs and replacements.
The Board of Education at the Feb. 19 meeting approved $929,420 in roof repairs and replacements for Arrowhead, Fort Island and Herberich primary schools and Copley-Fairlawn Middle School. The board also agreed to seek bids on roof replacement and renovations at Copley High School.
In addition, the board approved $186,200 for door and window replacements at Arrowhead, Fort Island, Herberich and the middle school. All expenditures will come from the district’s Permanent Improvement Fund.
The board also approved the purchase of a video capture system, servers and additional security cameras for improved security from Acuity-vct at a cost of $96,739. An additional $30,000 will be spent on network switches and wiring for the security camera system, said Treasurer John Wheadon.
Also during the meeting, Students of the Month for December and January were honored and include:
√ Arrowhead Primary School: (December) fourth-grader Samuel Harter, son of Chris and Kern Harter; and (January) fourth-grader Julia Humphrys, daughter of Sean and Dawn Humphrys;
√ Fort Island Primary School: (December) fourth-grader Sarah Ridings, daughter of Joe and Tina Ridings; and (January) fourth-grader Jacob Hamsher, son of Teri and Joel Hamsher;
√ Herberich Primary School: (December) fourth-grader Emma Canode, daughter of James and Yukiko Canode; and (January) fourth-grader Alex Shepherd, son of Myron and Karen Shepherd;
√ Copley-Fairlawn Middle School: (December) fifth-grader Gabriel Stark, son of Paul and Veronique Stark; and (January) eighth-grader KD Puckett, daughter of Mike and Sandra Puckett; and
√ Copley High School: (December) 10th-grader Ian Little, son of Benjamin and Deborah Little; and (January) 10th-grader Joshua Meyers, son of Gary and Beverly Meyers.
The Athlete of the Month for December was junior wrestler Tanmay Shah, son of Jivay and Hemal Shah, and for January was senior bowler Damon Hickman, son of Dwayne and Phadrea Hickman.
In other business, the board:
- approved a settlement agreement with Teamsters Local 348 and bus driver Pam Uridiales;
- approved payment in lieu of transportation;
- approved overnight 2014 field trips to France for students taking advanced French courses and to Germany for students taking advanced German courses. The early approval will allow the parents and students time to raise funds for the trips. Parents and students are responsible for all costs associated with the trips, said Superintendent Brian Poe;
- accepted the resignation of tutor Amber Barchok;
- accepted the resignation of Karen Cole as fifth- and sixth-grades middle school math curriculum coordinator. Windy Lewis will take her place;
- hired Laurie Misch as a long-term substitute for the remainder of the school year. She will teach fifth grade at the middle school;
- granted unpaid parental leave of absence to Jessica Sexton, effective retroactively for the period Jan. 25 through March 28;
- noted the district will host a spring district conference March 3-6 for the Ohio School Boards Association;
- approved stipends to staff supervising student teachers; and
- accepted donations of about $242 from Piper Jaffray to Fort Island Primary and $570 from The Zoup! Community Foundation to Copley High School.
The next Copley-Fairlawn school board meeting is set for March 19 at 7 p.m. in the Main Office Conference Room at Copley High School, 3797 Ridgewood Road.
More Education News
- Copley-Fairlawn board approves contract for vestibule project
- APS board hears presentation clarifying graduation requirements
- Stark State installs sign at new site
- Sabitsch recognized at Revere board meeting
- Woodridge school board agrees to waive pay-to-participate fees
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Green BOE approves personnel matters
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- University of Akron Choral Concert - 4/28/2017
- Astronomy Club of Akron: Daniel Rothstein on The Four Red Shifts - 4/28/2017
- Bluebell Valley Hike - 4/28/2017
- Rape Crisis Center of Medina & Summit Counties Walk of Heroes - 4/28/2017
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 4/29/2017