Board hires Copley High School principal
Copley High School Assistant Principal Matthew Young will take the high school’s top job this fall.
Young, a Copley High School science teacher for 17 years, is in his first year as assistant principal.
The Copley-Fairlawn City Schools Board of Education approved a two-year administrative contract for Young at the March 19 meeting.
Former Copley High School Principal Cameron Ryba resigned from the position just prior to the start of the school year. Assistant Superintendent Aaron Sable has been doing double duty, acting both as high school principal and the district’s assistant superintendent. Young is one of three assistant principals at the school.
Superintendent Brian Poe said Young has done an outstanding job as assistant principal and has taken on additional responsibilities not usually associated with the position.
The board also approved two-year contracts for Jim Borchik, assistant high school principal and athletic director; Lance Green, technology director; Andrew La Badie, Arrowhead Primary School principal; and Robert Whitaker, Fort Island Primary School principal.
The board accepted resignations for retirement of two long-term employees. Guidance counselor Pamela Long-Rice will retire effective May 31 with 12 years of service in the district. Copley-Fairlawn Middle School Principal Beverly Parker will retire effective June 27 with 10 years of service in the district.
Students of the Month for February were honored at the meeting. They included:
√ Arrowhead Primary School: fourth-grader Brooke Revetta, daughter of Jack and Yarra Revetta;
√ Fort Island Primary School: fourth-grader Thomas Sekas, son of John Sekas and Harriet Feick;
√ Herberich Primary School: fourth-grader Ryan Poundstone, son of Aaron and Laura Poundstone;
√ Copley-Fairlawn Middle School: seventh-grader Hope Strodtbeck, daughter of Eric and Laura Strodtbeck; and
√ Copley High School: 10th-grader Hallie Heffernan, daughter of Mark and Amy Heffernan.
The Athlete of the Month for February was sophomore swimmer Madison Myers, the daughter of Carl and Nicole Myers.
In other business, the board:
- approved a $925,369 contract with Boak and Sons for roof replacement and renovations at Copley High School;
- approved advertising for bids for three school buses to be paid for with permanent improvement funds;
- approved the purchase of cafeteria tables for Copley-Fairlawn Middle School from Continental Office at a cost of $44,833;
- approved a three-year agreement with Northeast Ohio Network for Educational Technology for a wireless Internet system at a cost of $95,794;
- approved a 2014 field trip to Spain for Spanish students. The early approval was needed to give students time to raise money for the trip, which will be funded by students and parents;
- accepted resignations of special needs assistants Linda Burgett (effective at the end of the school year), Aimee Maier (effective March 29) and Joyce Sarnicki (effective Feb. 27);
- approved hiring Catherine Hughes as a long-term substitute at Fort Island Primary School teaching English as a second language classes;
- approved disability retirements for special needs assistant Michele Wilhelm and cafeteria worker Dawn Kramer;
- accepted the resignation of Sara Zilles as Copley High School assistant softball coach; and
- hired Carry Swope as a volunteer assistant coach for the high school academic challenge team, Andrea Minster as a high school substitute head softball coach, Brian Falhamer as assistant high school softball coach, Brian Prucha as head coach for the ninth-grade baseball team and Emily Richard as high school assistant track coach.
The next regular Copley-Fairlawn school board meeting will take place April 16 at 7 p.m. in the Main Office Conference Room at Copley High School, 3797 Ridgewood Road.
More Education News
- Akron schools ready to open
- Firestone High School graduate awarded $2,500 scholarship
- Woodridge board, teachers union approve contract
- STVM students win at WEMUN Expo
- Copley-Fairlawn district readies for start of school
- Akron Zoo, APS provide supplies to students
- Project GRAD Akron receives contribution from AT&T
- West Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Introduction to Spanish - 8/26/2016
- Ballroom Nights - 8/26/2016
- Zoso (Led Zeppelin tribute)with the Joe Vitale Jr. Band - 8/26/2016
- Kinderealm: Bees: for ages 3-6 - 8/27/2016
- Yoga - 8/27/2016