South Side Education News & Notes
Manchester BOE member resigns, replacement sought
Reynolds stated Nichols is moving out of the Manchester Local Schools area and resigned with deep regret.
Nichols and her husband, Ron, raised three daughters, who attended Manchester Local Schools, and now have grandchildren attending schools in the district, according to Reynolds.
Reynolds said the board appreciates her family’s many years of service to the district. She served on the board for six years, according to Reynolds.
The board is seeking qualified and interested candidates to fill the remainder of Nichols’ term, which expires at the end of the year. The seat is up for election in the Nov. 5 General Election.
Anyone interested in being appointed for the remainder of this year is asked to submit a dated letter of request and a résumé to: Richard Sponseller, board president, 6075 Manchester Road, Akron, OH 44319.
The submissions are due by today, April 12.
Board members will review the applicants and vote on Nichols’ replacement, and all applicants will be contacted regarding the final decision, according to Reynolds.
Recycle More. Waste Less! theme for contest
SUMMIT COUNTY — ReWorks, formerly the Summit/Akron Solid Waste Management Authority, continues to challenge students to illustrate the benefits of recycling and waste reduction.
This year’s theme — Recycle More. Waste Less! — for the annual high school billboard design contest encourages students to illustrate how to recycle more and waste less. Students with the top three winning designs will receive cash prizes. The top five designs will appear on billboards throughout Summit County during May.
The contest deadline is April 30. To enter, include the student’s name, school name and mailing address on the back of the entry and mail to ReWorks at 12 E. Exchange St., Third Floor, Akron, OH 44308.
Call 330-374-0383 for more information.
Stephanie Kist and Maria Lindsay contributed to these reports.
More Education News
- Norton board proceeding with field house project
- Revere moving forward with district building project
- Woodridge athletes honored by Cuyahoga Falls mayor
- District seeking bids for secure school vestibules
- Highland board acknowledges district awards
- Highland students learn from NEOMED students
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Coventry school board, union reach agreement
Calendar of Events
- Owl Prowl - 12/2/2016
- Helen Welch Trio; Jan Rookard and Ray McCall - 12/3/2016
- Glass Fusing: Make a Tiny Bowl - 12/3/2016
- Illusion Factory’s “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” - 12/3/2016
- Mind Your Own Beeswax Workshop - 12/3/2016