Norton district planning for next school year
At the April 15 meeting, the Norton City Schools Board of Education conducted a first reading of a policy that would require high school students to do community service in order to graduate.
The Ambassador Program is expected to run as a pilot program for seniors during the 2013-14 school year that will be overseen by Principal Ryan Shanor and other current high school employees, according to district officials.
The board also took action on a number of personnel-related items at the meeting, which were mostly routine, according to Superintendent David Dunn.
The board approved renewing 25 teachers’ contracts for the 2013-14 school year, varying from one to three years in length.
Also, continuing contracts were approved for teachers Lisa Bowen, Brittany Rohrs, Glen Kruger and Cynthia Koontz.
The board approved nonrenewals of contracts at the end of this school year for: extracurricular supplemental positions, supplemental contracts for extended time, employees supported by Title I and Title VI-B grant funding not approved for next year, more than 100 certified substitutes and approximately 50 classified substitutes.
Lengthy lists of certified and classified substitutes for the 2013-14 school year were approved as well.
In other action, the board approved compensation for five members of the Norton Professional Development Committee for completion of work during the 2012-13 school year. Dunn, who sat on the committee, said the group was charged with approving professional development activities.
Curriculum-related action taken by the board included:
- approving a reading intervention program for second- through fourth-graders to be held on Wednesdays from June through August at no cost to students and hiring one or two teachers with Title I funds;
- approving an online Middle School Summer Remediation Program for fifth- through eighth-graders to be held from June through August at cost of $45 per student and hiring one or two teachers; and
- approving Project-Pass-OGT during the week of June 17, a one-week summer remediation program for students who did not pass sections of the Ohio Graduation Test, and hiring two to four teachers.
Also at the meeting, the board congratulated students of the month for April, including: Michal Green for Norton Primary School, Grace Marino and Emma Collins for Grill Elementary School, Logan Slinker for Cornerstone Elementary School, Jake Townsend for Norton Middle School and Daniel Mann for Norton High School.
In other business, the board accepted donations, including many for Norton High School senior and speech and debate competitor Jordan Feliciano, who is planning to compete at the National Forensic League National Tournament taking place June 16-21 in Birmingham, Ala.
Donations toward his trip approved at the meeting totaled $980, with $558 coming from community members who attended a performance of Wolf Creek Players.
Jordan also entertained the board and audience members with a portion of his Humorous Interpretation piece that evening. He will compete in the national tournament against 200 others in that event, according to school officials.
Other donations approved at the meeting were SMART boards, with one for Cornerstone and three for Norton Primary, coming from each school’s Parent Advisory Committee. Those donations valued $6,460 in total.
The next Committee-of-the-Whole meeting is scheduled for May 13 at 6 p.m. at the Administration Building, 4128 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road, and the next regular school board meeting is set for May 20 at 7:30 p.m. in the Norton High School Media Center, 4108 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road.
More Education News
- Norton High School honors military at Veterans Day event
- AKA donates school supplies for APS students
- Local businessman presents grant to Walsh Jesuit
- Highland board debates domestic, international travel
- Hoban dedicates new Health and Fitness Center
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Coventry awaiting answers from Ohio Auditor’s Office
- APS board hears facility plan update
- Coventry Schools hosts safe Halloween
Calendar of Events
- Duo Esplanade - 11/24/2015
- Jon Mosey - 11/25/2015
- Joseph Arthur - 11/25/2015
- Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous - 11/26/2015
- Ballroom Nights - 11/27/2015