West Side Education News & Notes
APS students learn skills for future success through AT&T program
DOWNTOWN AKRON — AT&T employees teamed up with Junior Achievement, Buchtel Community Learning Center and the Akron STEM High School to share academic and career skills via a job shadow program, part of Aspire Mentoring Academy, April 19.
Approximately 70 students and AT&T employees participated during the regular business workday. Employees shared life experiences and career advice through project-based activities and guided the students to learn how to problem solve in a team setting.
The employees also encouraged the students to take the pledge not to text and drive through AT&T’s It Can Wait movement and taught the students how to manage their own digital footprint.
AT&T officials cited a March 19, 2012, report by Civic Enterprises that states one in four students — more than 1 million each year — fails to graduate with his or her class. On average, a high school dropout earns 25 percent less during his or her lifetime compared with a high school graduate and 57 percent less than a college graduate with a bachelor’s degree, according to “The College Payoff,” published by the Georgetown University Center on Education and Workforce in August 2011.
“When caring adults take time out of their busy day to share new skills and knowledge, students are able to make connections between what they learn in school and what their future career may hold,” said Denice Schafer, senior district director for Junior Achievement of North Central Ohio, in a press release.
For details, visit www.att.com/aspirementoring.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Education News
- APS instructor wins national award
- Two educational assistants added at Norton Primary
- Elms hosts neuroscience professor for student seminar
- Highland teachers, student recognized for outdoor education efforts
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Woodridge High School music students perform at Disney World
- NEOMED students offer hands-on learning
- Manchester taking steps for levies in May
- Springfield district working to help students improve
- Girls of Green collects items to benefit mothers in need
Calendar of Events
- Crooked River Walk - 12/21/2014
- “A Christmas Carol” - 12/21/2014
- Winter White Out - 12/21/2014
- Puppet Show: Holiday Happenings - 12/21/2014
- Johnny and the Apple Stompers and Ed Caner - 12/21/2014