West Side Education News & Notes
APS students learn skills for future success through AT&T program
DOWNTOWN AKRON — AT&T employees teamed up with Junior Achievement, Buchtel Community Learning Center and the Akron STEM High School to share academic and career skills via a job shadow program, part of Aspire Mentoring Academy, April 19.
Approximately 70 students and AT&T employees participated during the regular business workday. Employees shared life experiences and career advice through project-based activities and guided the students to learn how to problem solve in a team setting.
The employees also encouraged the students to take the pledge not to text and drive through AT&T’s It Can Wait movement and taught the students how to manage their own digital footprint.
AT&T officials cited a March 19, 2012, report by Civic Enterprises that states one in four students — more than 1 million each year — fails to graduate with his or her class. On average, a high school dropout earns 25 percent less during his or her lifetime compared with a high school graduate and 57 percent less than a college graduate with a bachelor’s degree, according to “The College Payoff,” published by the Georgetown University Center on Education and Workforce in August 2011.
“When caring adults take time out of their busy day to share new skills and knowledge, students are able to make connections between what they learn in school and what their future career may hold,” said Denice Schafer, senior district director for Junior Achievement of North Central Ohio, in a press release.
For details, visit www.att.com/aspirementoring.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Education News
- Highland board revisits school rebuilding project
- Revere High School hosting Marching Band Invitational
- Revere celebrates five National Merit semifinalists
- Old Trail students find rare caterpillar
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Manchester officials discuss state report card results
- District recognizes board member
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 9/28/2016
- Depression/Bipolar Support Alliance - 9/28/2016
- GriefCare Place - 9/28/2016
- Akron Coffee Roasters - 9/28/2016
- Pilates - 9/28/2016