SCCS announces 2013 Creative Contests award winners
AKRON — Summit County Children Services (SCCS), the coordinating agency of Child and Family Awareness Month, recently announced the names of local students from public, private, independent and charter schools within Summit County who were selected as winners in the 2013 Child and Family Awareness Month© Creative Contests.
The winners, each of whom was asked to create an artistic piece honoring the concept of “family,” were recognized at an awards reception at the Akron Art Museum.
Winners from the West Side Leader’s coverage area include:
Elementary School Poster/Slogan Contest
- Lauren Nagle, third grade, Our Lady of the Elms School in West Akron, “A Family Is Like a Door That Opens up to Life”;
- Isaac Koehler, fifth grade, Miller South School for the Visual and Performing Arts in West Akron, “A Family Is the Pages in a Book Telling Our Story”;
- Kanney Wong, fifth grade, Miller South, “A Family Is a Heartwarming Gift”;
- Erin Quick, fifth grade, Miller South, “A Family Is the Chalk on the Sidewalk of Life”;
- Lauren McNeil, fifth grade, Chapel Hill Christian School, North Campus in Cuyahoga Falls, “A Family Is Like PBandJ, They Always Stick Together”;
- Colleen Reagan, third grade, St. Hilary School in Fairlawn, “A Family Is a Blanket That Comforts You”; and
- Charlie Durkin, third grade, St. Hilary, “A Family Is a Pencil That Erases the Mistakes of Life.”
Middle School Storybook Contest
- First place, Lily Sargent, eighth grade, St. Joseph School in Cuyahoga Falls; and
- Second place, Troy Tofil, eighth grade, St. Joseph School.
LithoPrint Co. will print copies of the three winning storybooks.
Middle School Public Service Announcement
- First place, Camden Fisher and Ryan Moon, eighth grade, National Inventors Hall of Fame School, Center for STEM Learning in Downtown Akron;
- Second place, Ben Miller, seventh grade, St. Joseph School; and
- Third place, Mathew Dies and Bronson Davis, eighth grade, National Inventors Hall of Fame School.
WZIP 88.1 FM recorded the three winning PSAs and aired them throughout April.
The annual Creative Contests awards program is part of April’s Child and Family Awareness Month, which has been observed annually throughout Summit County for the past 26 years. Numerous agencies and organizations have formed a network committed to strengthening family life and preventing child abuse and neglect through community education, according to SCCS officials. This network plans and implements a range of activities and educational initiatives during the month designed to build a solid foundation of community support for children and families.
For more information, call SCCS at 330-379-1994 or visit www.summitkids.org.
More Education News
Calendar of Events
- Kim Karam & The Gene Fiocca Band; Jan Rookard and The McCall - As One - 7/23/2016
- “Godspell” - 7/23/2016
- Brass Transit (Chicago tribute) with Charita Franks - 7/23/2016
- “Love Letters” - 7/23/2016
- TubaSummer - 7/24/2016