First RCSPA team competes in Rocketry Challenge
|Photo courtesy of Dana Tipton|
The TARC was created in the fall of 2002 as a one-time celebration of the Centennial of Flight, but the enthusiasm about the event was so great that AIA and NAR were asked to hold the contest annually, according to RCSPA officials. Approximately 7,000 students from across the nation compete in TARC each year. Teams design, build and fly a model rocket that reaches a specific altitude and duration determined by a set of rules developed each year. The contest is designed to encourage students to study math and science and pursue careers in aerospace. The top 100 teams go on to compete in White Plains, Va.
This was RCSPA’s first year to have a team participating in the contest. The team, named “Minutemen,” was made up of junior and team captain Chris Brandt, junior Zac Wilson, sophomore Isaac Brandt, freshman Mark Oleson, eighth-grader Sonny Kim and seventh-grader Ben Tipton. The team was coached by Scott Tipton with help from Steve Oleson and mentored by Jack Koslen, of Solon.
Shown above, from left, are Mark Oleson, Zac Wilson, Isaac Brandt, Ben Tipton and Chris Brandt. Not shown is Sonny Kim.
Nationwide, 735 teams participated. The Minutemen was the 18th alternate team, finishing just two points short of participating in Virginia, according to RCSPA officials. For more information about TARC, visit www.rocketcontest.org.
RCSPA administers some after-school STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) programs for students who attend Revere Local Schools. In addition to the TARC team, RCSPA ran two First Lego League teams, which competed in December and were coached by Jay Nye; the Bath Builders’ Club, which was overseen by Sandy Kahoe; and Odyssey of the Mind, which was run by Kim Klippel.
For more information about RCSPA, visit www.reveresciencemath.org.
More Education News
- Highland board revisits school rebuilding project
- Revere High School hosting Marching Band Invitational
- Revere celebrates five National Merit semifinalists
- Old Trail students find rare caterpillar
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Manchester officials discuss state report card results
- District recognizes board member
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 9/28/2016
- Depression/Bipolar Support Alliance - 9/28/2016
- GriefCare Place - 9/28/2016
- Akron Coffee Roasters - 9/28/2016
- Pilates - 9/28/2016