SCCS announces 2013 Creative Contests award winners
AKRON — Summit County Children Services (SCCS), the coordinating agency of Child and Family Awareness Month, recently announced the names of local students from public, private, independent and charter schools within Summit County who were selected as winners in the 2013 Child and Family Awareness Month© Creative Contests.
The winners, each of whom was asked to create an artistic piece honoring the concept of “family,” were recognized at an awards reception at the Akron Art Museum.
2013 winners from the South Side News Leader’s coverage area included the following students:
Middle School Storybook Contest
- Third place, Gabrielle Risko, eighth grade, Green Middle School (LithoPrint Co. will print copies of the three winning storybooks).
High School Essay Contest
- First place, Jocelyn Claytor, 11th grade, Green High School;
- Second place, Nicole Monte, 11th grade, Green; and
- Third place, Allie Stanley, 11th grade, Green.
High School Poetry Contest
- First place, Ryan Kramanak, 12th grade, Green High School;
- Second place, Ricky Lovell, 11th grade, Green; and
- Third place, Megan Woods, 12th grade, Green.
High School Jingle Contest
This was a new contest category for 2013.
- First place, Megan Magensky, 11th grade, Green High School.
The annual Creative Contests awards program is part of April’s Child and Family Awareness Month, which has been observed annually throughout Summit County for the past 26 years. Numerous agencies and organizations have formed a network committed to strengthening family life and preventing child abuse and neglect through community education, according to SCCS officials. This network plans and implements a range of activities and educational initiatives during the month designed to build a solid foundation of community support.
For more details, call SCCS at 330-379-1994 or visit www.summitkids.org or the Child and Family Awareness Month Facebook page.
More Education News
- Norton board raises lunch prices for next school year
- Copley-Fairlawn board honors retirees
- Rachel’s Challenge helps others
- Results of Highland phone survey revealed
- Local high schools ranked by U.S. News & World Report
- Green district predicting healthy finances
- Board OKs new administration team for Coventry High School
- Manchester BOE OKs purchase of buses
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Boogie Woogie Books - 5/26/2015
- A New Beginning - 5/27/2015
- Feeding Time: ages 5 and older - 5/27/2015
- Anime Club - 5/27/2015
- Summer Volunteer Orientation: ages 12-18 - 5/27/2015