Manchester board installs new member
|Kelly Dolan was sworn in as a new Manchester Local Schools Board of Education member at the May 21 meeting.|
|Photo: Joyce Rainey Long|
Kelly Dolan was sworn in, replacing LeAnn Nichols, who moved out of the district. She was appointed by the board April 30.
In other business, Superintendent Sam Reynolds thanked the community for supporting the operating levy that passed in the May 7 election. Operating expenses include salaries, health insurance, textbooks and repairs.
“I’m extending my thanks to the community for passing that,” he said, noting the levy passed by 72 percent.
In another financial matter, the board approved the five-year financial forecast, which is the estimation of revenues and expenditures for the next five years, said Treasurer David Osborne.
Also at the meeting, Mike Ankrom, Manchester Education Association (MEA) president since 2004, announced his intention of not seeking the position for the next school year. He said he enjoyed the position, but it is time for someone new to take over the leadership of the association. Ankrom teaches social studies at Manchester High School.
“Thank you for the respect you’ve shown the teachers and cooperation,” Ankrom told the board.
In other matters, the board approved extending open enrollment to kindergarten. Last May, the board approved open enrollment for first through eighth grades and has offered open enrollment for high school students since 1993. Reynolds said the district will control the number of students in each grade with 100 maximum pupils in kindergarten through fourth grade, and 115 students in fifth through eighth grades.
The board also heard the first reading of an interscholastic athletics policy that outlines how concussions and head injuries are handled by the district. The board will vote on this policy next month.
In other business, Christi Pappas, principal of Nolley Elementary School, told the board Nolley received a $15,000 grant from the GAR Foundation May 17 for the building to implement “The Leader in Me,” a leadership program for children based on Stephen Covey’s book, “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.” The grant can be renewed two times, Pappas said.
Five teachers wrote the grant proposal, Pappas said, and the program will begin in the fall.
“We are really excited to teach leadership skills to young children,” said Pappas.
In other matters, the board:
- accepted the retirement of Nicholas Crème, who has taught for 35 years. He is the physical education teacher at Nolley Elementary;
- accepted the retirement of Denise Hilbert, who has taught for 37 years. She is the Title I teacher at Nolley Elementary;
- accepted the retirement of Kathy Morrison, who has been a Title I aide at Nolley for 35 years;
- accepted four certified resignations, one classified resignation and four supplemental resignations;
- approved 27 supplemental appointments;
- approved membership in the Ohio High School Athletic Association for Manchester High School and Manchester Middle School for the 2013-14 school year;
- approved 126 students as the Class of 2013; and
- designated the evening of April 10, 2014, as Fine Arts Day for the schools, with no athletic or extracurricular events scheduled that day so the community can focus on the fine arts.
The next meeting will be June 18 at 6:30 p.m. in the Administration Building, 6075 Manchester Road.
More Education News
- APS instructor wins national award
- Two educational assistants added at Norton Primary
- Elms hosts neuroscience professor for student seminar
- Highland teachers, student recognized for outdoor education efforts
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Woodridge High School music students perform at Disney World
- NEOMED students offer hands-on learning
- Manchester taking steps for levies in May
- Springfield district working to help students improve
- Girls of Green collects items to benefit mothers in need
Calendar of Events
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 12/23/2014
- A New Beginning - 12/24/2014
- Presents for Nature Realm Critters - 12/24/2014
- School’s Out Cookout: bring hot dogs and buns - 12/26/2014
- A New Adventure - 12/27/2014