Coventry High School students recognized
|Shown above, from left, are Sportsmanship Award recipients: (back row) sophomore Joey Browning, freshman Bryce Hargrove and junior Casey Prater; and (front row) freshman April Mashburn, sophomore Chloe Baird and junior Amber Thacker.|
|Shown above, from left, are recipients of the Citizenship Award: (back row) freshman Jimmy Schindewolf, sophomore Derrick Hansen and junior Josh Leiter; and (front row) sophomore Dorothy Stalnaker, junior Ashlynn Watson and freshman Alyse Adams.|
|Pictured above, from left, are Leadership Award winners: (back row) sophomore Will Morisak, junior Andrew Bullock and freshman Tucker Pearce; and (front row) freshman Karli Morisak, junior Bridgette Parkins and sophomore Tori Hall.
|Photos courtesy of Coventry High School|
According to High School Principal Cindy McDonald, the awards are made annually to students who serve as role models to others. She added seniors are not eligible for the awards because they have their own awards.
McDonald explained each award — Citizenship, Leadership and Sportsmanship — have specific criteria, and teachers and/or coaches can nominate a male and female student in each grade except 12 for each award. There are usually about six students to pick from in each category, and a group of teachers select one female and one male to receive each of the three awards.
“There are many deserving students and it’s hard to pick one,” said McDonald. “So at the assembly, we recognize all those nominated, not just the award recipients.”
She added teachers select students from among the nominees that best exemplify what each award stands for.
“These awards recognize the fine character of our students,” said McDonald. “The award recipients have their names engraved on a plaque that hangs in our school, and they also get a certificate recognizing them to take home.”
According to district officials, the award winners include:
- The Citizenship Award recognizes students who make good choices, are respectful, cooperative and involved, and strive to make their school and community a better place. The award recipients include: freshmen Alyse Adams and Jimmy Schindewolf; sophomores Derrick Hansen and Dorothy Stalnaker; and juniors Josh Leiter and Ashlynn Watson.
- The Leadership Award is given to students who make good choices, are kind to others and set a good example for others to follow. The winners include: freshmen Karli Morisak and Tucker Pearce; sophomores Tori Hall and Will Morisak; and juniors Andrew Bullock and Bridgette Parkins.
- The Sportsmanship Award is for student athletes participating in at least two athletic events during the current school year that display good sportsmanship, ethics and integrity. The award was given to: freshmen Bryce Hargrove and April Mashburn; sophomores Chloe Baird and Joey Browning; and juniors Casey Prater and Amber Thacker.
More Education News
Calendar of Events
- Evil Ways, The Jimi Hendrix Tribute Experience and Ball and Chain - 8/28/2015
- End of Summer Jam with Sir Charles and Wendell B. - 8/28/2015
- Thyme for Dinner: Campfire Cooking - 8/28/2015
- Downloading with the 3M Cloud Library, eLearning the Easy Way, Excel Basics, Games and Tricks for Android Tablets - 8/29/2015
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 8/29/2015