Manchester board OKs wage freeze for classified employees
Support staff at Manchester Local Schools agreed to a one-year wage freeze to help out the district with its financial troubles.
At the Manchester Board of Education meeting June 18, the board approved the wage freeze for the Ohio Association of Public School Employees (OAPSE). The freeze will be effective for the classified staff from July 1 through June 30, 2014.
“At this point, we are predicting a deficit for next school year with increasing health care costs and increasing special education costs, and we don’t know what the state is going to do,” said Superintendent Sam Reynolds. “We appreciate the understanding of all the [OAPSE] members.”
Also during the meeting, the board accepted the resignation of Anthony Hite as assistant principal for Manchester High School. Hite had been assistant principal for the past three years, and he’s returning to the classroom as an English teacher at the high school, said Reynolds.
Scott Ross, director of technology for the past three years, was approved by the board as assistant principal at the high school. He will serve in both positions for the next school year, said Reynolds.
“This will be a savings of salary and benefits,” said Reynolds, adding the district will try the combined position for one year and will determine if it works and if it should be continued.
“With the district in financial difficulty, we want to save funds for student programming. We look at any position and decide if it’s critical for learning,” said Reynolds.
In other business, the board honored LeAnn Nichols, former board member who resigned in April because she moved out of the district. She served the board from 2004 to 2007 and 2010 to 2013. She said she established the Nichols Legacy Scholarship for special needs students.
“You always wanted to extend your heart to the children of the community,” said Reynolds as he and the board members thanked her.
The board also honored five retirees at the meeting. The four Nolley Elementary School retirees included: Nicholas Creme, who taught physical education and was with the district for 35 years; Evelyn Duve, who taught for 37 years and taught special needs students; Denise Hilbert, who was a Title I teacher with 36 years of teaching; and Kathy Morrison, who was an aide for 35 years.
Bradley Petraitis, who taught art for 39 years at Manchester High School, also was recognized.
In other business, the board:
- approved the temporary appropriations for the 2013 school year that were prepared by Treasurer David Osborne;
- approved Reiter Dairy for the milk bid and Nickles Bakery for the bread bid for the 2013-14 school year;
- approved Snyder Agency to offer student accident insurance. More information is available on the district’s website at www.panthercountry.org;
- approved four certified and five supplemental appointments and the retirement of Duve;
- approved the interscholastic athletics policy that outlines how the district handles concussions and head injuries;
- heard first readings of the standards-based teacher evaluation policy that was approved by the Manchester Education Association and an amendment to the policy on employee-owned businesses. The board will vote on both policies next month;
- accepted donations of $1,000 from Karla Arnold for the Carl Arnold Scholarship and $810 from the Manchester Youth Basketball to Nolley for physical education;
- accepted donations from Manchester Middle School PTA, including $25 to the Hauenstein Scholarship, $200 to the Arnold Scholarship, $25 to the Geography Bee, $25 to the Art Club, $50 to the PANDA Club, $50 to the Arnold Service Club and $50 to the Home Economics Club; and
- accepted donations from the Manchester High School PTA of $25 to the Hauenstein Scholarship and $25 to the Arnold Scholarship.
The board will have a special meeting June 27 at 8 p.m. in the Administration Building, 6075 Manchester Road. The next regular meeting will be July 16 at 6:30 p.m. in the Administration Building.
More Education News
Calendar of Events
- History Hike - 11/28/2014
- After Thanksgiving Hike - 11/28/2014
- Brent Kirby and His Luck with Rebecca Wohlever - 11/28/2014
- Akron Metro Parks Hiking Club - 11/28/2014
- A New Adventure - 11/29/2014