South Side Education News & Notes
APS Board recognizes Gust Kalapodis
DOWNTOWN AKRON — The Akron Public Schools (APS) Board of Education recognized New Franklin resident Gust Kalapodis for his 46.5 years of service at the June 10 meeting.
Kalapodis, 81, was employed as a teacher and machinist, and coordinated the work study program, first at the old South High School in 1969, then Thornton High School and then at North High School from 1974 until his retirement in June 2012.
He taught history and government in morning classes and machine shop classes in the afternoon. He said he was the longest-serving high school employee when he retired. He said he still does volunteer work with disabled students in the APS district.
Kalapodis said one of his favorite memories was seeing his students unexpectedly win the championship in the Vocational Industrial Clubs of America’s (now known as SkillsUSA) Knowledge Bowl event in 1999 and 2001.
Kalapodis also worked as a machinist at night for the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. from 1950 to 1959, when he said the company was recognized as having the third best machine shop in the country. He also worked for Firestone Tire and Rubber Co. from 1961 to 1982.
Kalapodis has a bachelor’s degree in comprehensive social studies, which he earned in 1968, and a master’s degree in vocational education (1978), both from The University of Akron, and a vocational education certification from Kent State University.
He has served as the first Ward 4 representative on New Franklin City Council since January 2008. He ran unopposed for re-election to the seat in November 2011. His seat on council expires Dec. 31, 2015.
Maria Lindsay contributed to this report.
More Education News
- Norton board proceeding with field house project
- Revere moving forward with district building project
- Woodridge athletes honored by Cuyahoga Falls mayor
- District seeking bids for secure school vestibules
- Highland board acknowledges district awards
- Highland students learn from NEOMED students
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Coventry school board, union reach agreement
Calendar of Events
- Helen Welch Trio; Jan Rookard and Ray McCall - 12/3/2016
- Glass Fusing: Make a Tiny Bowl - 12/3/2016
- Illusion Factory’s “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” - 12/3/2016
- Mind Your Own Beeswax Workshop - 12/3/2016
- Women’s Art League Show - 12/3/2016