Norton students honored at national speech, debate competition
|Photo courtesy of Tricia Pletcher|
Jordan advanced to the national semifinals in Humorous Interpretation, where he won ninth place in the nation. He is coached by Norton teacher and speech coach Tricia Pletcher.
Steven competed in Congressional Debate. He was elected Presiding Officer of his Congressional Chamber, and this honor resulted in him being awarded an NFL trophy gavel. He is coached by Norton alumnus and debate coach Anthony Paridon.
Both Jordan and Steven participated with the NHS Speech and Debate Team at 10 regular season tournaments, as well as at the Ohio High School Speech League State Finals in March, where Jordan finished second in his event. It was the second trip to the state tournament for both students.
Steven will enter the 11th grade in the fall and plans to continue his career in Congressional Debate. Jordan will attend The Ohio State University in the fall, where he will begin work toward a career in medicine.
Nearly 3,000 students participated in the 2013 NFL National Tournament. To attend, students must qualify at one of NFL’s 108 district tournaments.
More Education News
- ‘Conceptual agreement’ reached with Copley teachers union
- Revere board approves lunch price increase
- Woodridge seeking raffle car to help fund activities
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Green offering breakfast for all students
- APS focus on digital needs, offerings
- Manchester officials considering new bus purchase
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014