Norton students honored at national speech, debate competition
|Photo courtesy of Tricia Pletcher|
Jordan advanced to the national semifinals in Humorous Interpretation, where he won ninth place in the nation. He is coached by Norton teacher and speech coach Tricia Pletcher.
Steven competed in Congressional Debate. He was elected Presiding Officer of his Congressional Chamber, and this honor resulted in him being awarded an NFL trophy gavel. He is coached by Norton alumnus and debate coach Anthony Paridon.
Both Jordan and Steven participated with the NHS Speech and Debate Team at 10 regular season tournaments, as well as at the Ohio High School Speech League State Finals in March, where Jordan finished second in his event. It was the second trip to the state tournament for both students.
Steven will enter the 11th grade in the fall and plans to continue his career in Congressional Debate. Jordan will attend The Ohio State University in the fall, where he will begin work toward a career in medicine.
Nearly 3,000 students participated in the 2013 NFL National Tournament. To attend, students must qualify at one of NFL’s 108 district tournaments.
More Education News
- State, national mandates affecting Woodridge schools
- Copley-Fairlawn school board elects Vargo as president
- St. Hilary’s Saberbots advance to state tournament
- St. Sebastian students compete in Geography Bee
- High-schoolers gain nursing experience
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Lakes District Cub Scouts revving up for chariot race
- Walsh University names new science center after St. John Paul II
Calendar of Events
- Snuggle Up and Read Around the Campfire: for kindergarten through grade 5 - 1/26/2015
- Let’s Play - 1/26/2015
- Story Time - 1/26/2015
- Beginning Watercolor - 1/27/2015
- A New Adventure - 1/28/2015