Norton students honored at national speech, debate competition
|Photo courtesy of Tricia Pletcher|
Jordan advanced to the national semifinals in Humorous Interpretation, where he won ninth place in the nation. He is coached by Norton teacher and speech coach Tricia Pletcher.
Steven competed in Congressional Debate. He was elected Presiding Officer of his Congressional Chamber, and this honor resulted in him being awarded an NFL trophy gavel. He is coached by Norton alumnus and debate coach Anthony Paridon.
Both Jordan and Steven participated with the NHS Speech and Debate Team at 10 regular season tournaments, as well as at the Ohio High School Speech League State Finals in March, where Jordan finished second in his event. It was the second trip to the state tournament for both students.
Steven will enter the 11th grade in the fall and plans to continue his career in Congressional Debate. Jordan will attend The Ohio State University in the fall, where he will begin work toward a career in medicine.
Nearly 3,000 students participated in the 2013 NFL National Tournament. To attend, students must qualify at one of NFL’s 108 district tournaments.
More Education News
- APS Genius Challenge teams win Best Performance award
- SGWS showing ‘Screenagers’
- Board sets staff appreciation week
- Firestone honored at world tourney
- Revere receives audit award for third consecutive year
- Norton BOE OKs summer Kindergarten Readiness program
- Woodridge preparing for building project
- Manchester voters to see bond issue on August ballot
Calendar of Events
- University of Akron Concert Band - 5/2/2016
- University of Akron University Band - 5/3/2016
- Local Brew: R. Shea Brewery - 5/3/2016
- Stress and Your Total Wellness Workshop - 5/3/2016
- American Sewing Guild Fairlawn Group: - 5/3/2016