West Side Education News & Notes
Norton Board of Education approves teachers’ contract
NORTON — During a special meeting Aug. 26, the Norton City Schools Board of Education approved a three-year negotiated agreement with the Norton Classroom Teachers Association (NCTA).
On Aug. 23, the NCTA ratified the agreement, which will be in effect from July 1 through June 30, 2016, according to Superintendent David Dunn.
Negotiations were collegial, he said.
“I think both parties showed an interest in working towards continuing to maintain Norton as an excellent school district,” he said.
The board unanimously approved the contract, which includes 1 percent salary increases for each of the three years. The district’s wellness program has been expanded, with deductibles adjusted to lower or maintain health care costs, he added.
The big language changes in the contract all had to do with implementing the new Ohio Teacher Evaluation System, Dunn said.
In other business at the meeting, the board:
- approved cell phone stipends for the new school year of $50 for the technology director and $30 each for the high school principal and athletic director;
- approved personnel items, pending background and license checks, including hiring three certified tutors and two classified educational assistants;
- approved an agreement with Summit County Educational Service Center for the employment of a masonry assistant; and
- approved the Middle School Handbook for the 2013-14 school year.
The next Committee-of-the-Whole meeting is set for Sept. 9 at 6 p.m. at the Administration Building, 4128 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road, and the next regular school board meeting is set for Sept. 16 at 7:30 p.m. in the High School Media Center, 4108 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road.
Ariel Hakim contributed to this report.
More Education News
- State, national mandates affecting Woodridge schools
- Copley-Fairlawn school board elects Vargo as president
- St. Hilary’s Saberbots advance to state tournament
- St. Sebastian students compete in Geography Bee
- High-schoolers gain nursing experience
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Lakes District Cub Scouts revving up for chariot race
- Walsh University names new science center after St. John Paul II
Calendar of Events
- Metro Parks Book Club: “Pleasant Valley” by Louis Bromfiel - 1/25/2015
- University of Akron Steel Drum Band - 1/25/2015
- “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” - 1/25/2015
- NARI Home Improvement Show - 1/25/2015
- Snuggle Up and Read Around the Campfire: for kindergarten through grade 5 - 1/26/2015