West Side Education News & Notes
Norton Board of Education approves teachers’ contract
NORTON — During a special meeting Aug. 26, the Norton City Schools Board of Education approved a three-year negotiated agreement with the Norton Classroom Teachers Association (NCTA).
On Aug. 23, the NCTA ratified the agreement, which will be in effect from July 1 through June 30, 2016, according to Superintendent David Dunn.
Negotiations were collegial, he said.
“I think both parties showed an interest in working towards continuing to maintain Norton as an excellent school district,” he said.
The board unanimously approved the contract, which includes 1 percent salary increases for each of the three years. The district’s wellness program has been expanded, with deductibles adjusted to lower or maintain health care costs, he added.
The big language changes in the contract all had to do with implementing the new Ohio Teacher Evaluation System, Dunn said.
In other business at the meeting, the board:
- approved cell phone stipends for the new school year of $50 for the technology director and $30 each for the high school principal and athletic director;
- approved personnel items, pending background and license checks, including hiring three certified tutors and two classified educational assistants;
- approved an agreement with Summit County Educational Service Center for the employment of a masonry assistant; and
- approved the Middle School Handbook for the 2013-14 school year.
The next Committee-of-the-Whole meeting is set for Sept. 9 at 6 p.m. at the Administration Building, 4128 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road, and the next regular school board meeting is set for Sept. 16 at 7:30 p.m. in the High School Media Center, 4108 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road.
Ariel Hakim contributed to this report.
More Education News
- FHS students sail cardboard vessels in annual race
- Firestone, Litchfield construction bids OK’d
- State education mandates on Woodridge agenda
- Principal, district resident receive Pride Awards
- Springfield district continuing site improvements
- Manchester school board honors retiring treasurer
- Treasurer preparing five-year financial forecast
- Fundraiser for Coventry foundation a success
Calendar of Events
- Cuyahoga Valley Frackers and Brick Road Ramblers - 4/18/2014
- Antiquarian Book Fair - 4/18/2014
- Sensory Story Time - 4/19/2014
- Terrarium Workshop - 4/19/2014
- Hop, Hop, Hop! - 4/19/2014