West Side Education News & Notes
Norton Board of Education approves teachers’ contract
NORTON — During a special meeting Aug. 26, the Norton City Schools Board of Education approved a three-year negotiated agreement with the Norton Classroom Teachers Association (NCTA).
On Aug. 23, the NCTA ratified the agreement, which will be in effect from July 1 through June 30, 2016, according to Superintendent David Dunn.
Negotiations were collegial, he said.
“I think both parties showed an interest in working towards continuing to maintain Norton as an excellent school district,” he said.
The board unanimously approved the contract, which includes 1 percent salary increases for each of the three years. The district’s wellness program has been expanded, with deductibles adjusted to lower or maintain health care costs, he added.
The big language changes in the contract all had to do with implementing the new Ohio Teacher Evaluation System, Dunn said.
In other business at the meeting, the board:
- approved cell phone stipends for the new school year of $50 for the technology director and $30 each for the high school principal and athletic director;
- approved personnel items, pending background and license checks, including hiring three certified tutors and two classified educational assistants;
- approved an agreement with Summit County Educational Service Center for the employment of a masonry assistant; and
- approved the Middle School Handbook for the 2013-14 school year.
The next Committee-of-the-Whole meeting is set for Sept. 9 at 6 p.m. at the Administration Building, 4128 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road, and the next regular school board meeting is set for Sept. 16 at 7:30 p.m. in the High School Media Center, 4108 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road.
Ariel Hakim contributed to this report.
More Education News
- Copley-Fairlawn board calls for charter school accountability
- Woodridge waives pay-to-participate fees again
- Revere board OKs contract with ESC of Cuyahoga County
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Coventry district plans on August ballot levy if May issue fails
- Former school building demolished in Green
Calendar of Events
- Greetings from Akron, Ohio Postcard Show and Benefit Auction - 5/3/2015
- Hudson Stamp Show - 5/3/2015
- Arlo Guthrie - 5/3/2015
- Ballet Theatre of Ohio’s “Sleeping Beauty” - 5/3/2015
- Nurture Through Nature: De-stress - 5/3/2015