Copley-Fairlawn district OKs annual appropriations
The Copley-Fairlawn City Schools Board of Education adjourned less than 10 minutes after the body was called to order for its meeting Sept. 17.
During the meeting, the board approved its annual appropriations resolution, which sets aside funds for district expenses for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2014.
Appropriations totaled $61.6 million, with $32 million set for the General Fund.
In other financial business, the board approved spending $35,900 for S.A. Comunale to replace the fire alarm panel at Copley High School. The expense will be paid for out of the district’s permanent improvement funds, said Treasurer John Wheadon.
The board also accepted a donation of a Gator cargo box from the Copley Adult Sports Boosters valued at $6,600.
Also at the meeting, the board approved student handbooks for the current school year.
High School Principal Matthew Young and Middle School Principal Kathy Ashcroft have been working on the Bring Your Own Technology program, which the district planned to implement for students Sept. 23, noted Superintendent Brian Poe.
In other business, the board accepted the resignation of teacher Daniel Boarman, effective at the end of this school year. Boarman’s shoes are big ones to fill, said Poe. Boarman has been with the district since 1990 and has worked as a coach, social studies teacher, occupational work adjustment teacher and physical education teacher, Poe added.
The board also accepted the resignation of tutor Carol Szilagyi, effective Sept. 30.
Also, the board approved hiring licensed teachers Jennifer Fitzgibbon and Katherine Jones in part-time teaching positions, effective Sept. 6. The two new jobs were discussed at last month’s board meeting, added to provide support for large second-grade classes, noted Poe. Jones was hired for a four-hour teaching position at Fort Island Primary School, and Fitzgibbon will take a three-hour teaching position at Herberich Primary School.
The next board meeting is set for Oct. 15 at 7 p.m. at Copley High School, 3797 Ridgewood Road.
More Education News
- Copley-Fairlawn board approves contract for vestibule project
- APS board hears presentation clarifying graduation requirements
- Stark State installs sign at new site
- Sabitsch recognized at Revere board meeting
- Woodridge school board agrees to waive pay-to-participate fees
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Green BOE approves personnel matters
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Great Lakes Great Maines Club Cat Show - 4/30/2017
- Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous - 4/30/2017
- Scrabble Club - 4/30/2017
- Figure and Form: Intimate Studies - 5/2/2017
- Memory Fitness: Keep Your Mind Sharp - 5/2/2017