West Side Education News & Notes
Preschool slots available in APS
DOWNTOWN AKRON — Akron Public Schools (APS) officials said 157 additional students could be added to the district’s preschool program this fall through a state grant.
Ohio House Bill 59 paved the way to provide $10 million for additional early child opportunities in the state, and APS is set to receive $600,000, according to district officials.
What that means is the district is now accepting applications for additional students to attend the district’s Early Learning Program, according to coordinator Patricia Cronin. Potential students must have turned 3 or 4 years old by Sept. 30 and reside in the APS district.
“We are targeting children who are at 200 percent of the federal poverty guidelines or below, but we are accepting all students,” Cronin said.
For students who don’t qualify for the free program by income, the district offers the program on a sliding fee scale, she added.
Classes are currently held at several schools, including Case Elementary School and Crouse Community Learning Center in West Akron, as well as the Stewart Early Learning Program building on Vernon Odom Boulevard.
There are both morning and afternoon classes available, with sessions lasting two-and-a-half hours Mondays through Fridays, Cronin said.
If the district does not get enough students to fill all slots, Cronin said it would still receive money for the program, but not the full grant amount. The district currently has 424 students enrolled in its Early Learning Program, she added.
For more information or to apply, call 330-873-3396.
Kathleen Folkerth contributed to this report.
More Education News
- Akron schools ready to open
- Firestone High School graduate awarded $2,500 scholarship
- Woodridge board, teachers union approve contract
- STVM students win at WEMUN Expo
- Copley-Fairlawn district readies for start of school
- Akron Zoo, APS provide supplies to students
- Project GRAD Akron receives contribution from AT&T
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Green officials field questions regarding softball improvements
- Springfield district approves personnel items at special meeting
- Manchester Old School Alumni support scholarship fund
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Yoga and Mimosa; Yoga and Wine - 8/29/2016
- Hearing Loss Support Group - 8/29/2016
- How to Read Sheet Music - 8/29/2016
- GriefCare Place - 8/30/2016
- Wine and Genes Symposium - 8/30/2016