West Side Education News & Notes
Preschool slots available in APS
DOWNTOWN AKRON — Akron Public Schools (APS) officials said 157 additional students could be added to the district’s preschool program this fall through a state grant.
Ohio House Bill 59 paved the way to provide $10 million for additional early child opportunities in the state, and APS is set to receive $600,000, according to district officials.
What that means is the district is now accepting applications for additional students to attend the district’s Early Learning Program, according to coordinator Patricia Cronin. Potential students must have turned 3 or 4 years old by Sept. 30 and reside in the APS district.
“We are targeting children who are at 200 percent of the federal poverty guidelines or below, but we are accepting all students,” Cronin said.
For students who don’t qualify for the free program by income, the district offers the program on a sliding fee scale, she added.
Classes are currently held at several schools, including Case Elementary School and Crouse Community Learning Center in West Akron, as well as the Stewart Early Learning Program building on Vernon Odom Boulevard.
There are both morning and afternoon classes available, with sessions lasting two-and-a-half hours Mondays through Fridays, Cronin said.
If the district does not get enough students to fill all slots, Cronin said it would still receive money for the program, but not the full grant amount. The district currently has 424 students enrolled in its Early Learning Program, she added.
For more information or to apply, call 330-873-3396.
Kathleen Folkerth contributed to this report.
More Education News
- APS instructor wins national award
- Two educational assistants added at Norton Primary
- Elms hosts neuroscience professor for student seminar
- Highland teachers, student recognized for outdoor education efforts
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Woodridge High School music students perform at Disney World
- NEOMED students offer hands-on learning
- Manchester taking steps for levies in May
- Springfield district working to help students improve
- Girls of Green collects items to benefit mothers in need
Calendar of Events
- Crooked River Walk - 12/21/2014
- “A Christmas Carol” - 12/21/2014
- Winter White Out - 12/21/2014
- Puppet Show: Holiday Happenings - 12/21/2014
- Johnny and the Apple Stompers and Ed Caner - 12/21/2014