West Side Education News & Notes
Preschool slots available in APS
DOWNTOWN AKRON — Akron Public Schools (APS) officials said 157 additional students could be added to the district’s preschool program this fall through a state grant.
Ohio House Bill 59 paved the way to provide $10 million for additional early child opportunities in the state, and APS is set to receive $600,000, according to district officials.
What that means is the district is now accepting applications for additional students to attend the district’s Early Learning Program, according to coordinator Patricia Cronin. Potential students must have turned 3 or 4 years old by Sept. 30 and reside in the APS district.
“We are targeting children who are at 200 percent of the federal poverty guidelines or below, but we are accepting all students,” Cronin said.
For students who don’t qualify for the free program by income, the district offers the program on a sliding fee scale, she added.
Classes are currently held at several schools, including Case Elementary School and Crouse Community Learning Center in West Akron, as well as the Stewart Early Learning Program building on Vernon Odom Boulevard.
There are both morning and afternoon classes available, with sessions lasting two-and-a-half hours Mondays through Fridays, Cronin said.
If the district does not get enough students to fill all slots, Cronin said it would still receive money for the program, but not the full grant amount. The district currently has 424 students enrolled in its Early Learning Program, she added.
For more information or to apply, call 330-873-3396.
Kathleen Folkerth contributed to this report.
More Education News
- Future financial health of APS depends on variables
- Copley board hires interim principal for Arrowhead Primary
- Revere school board approves five-year forecast
- Lippman recognized for program
- West Side Education News & Notes
- APS’ financials depend on variables
- Norton board gets stadium update
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Artists Who Teach - 10/31/2014
- “Family Health” Book Sale - 10/31/2014
- Beyond D.A.B.D.A.: Grief Counseling with Children and Adults - 10/31/2014
- The Midtown Men - 10/31/2014
- Creepy Crawlies - 10/31/2014