VFW hosting scholarship contests
SOUTH AKRON — The Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States Firestone Post No. 3383 and its Ladies Auxiliary are sponsoring scholarships contests for students in pubic, private or parochial schools or in a home study program anywhere in the United States.
The contests include:
- The Voice of Democracy, a three- to five-minute audio essay for students in grades nine to 12, based on the 2013-14 theme or “Why I’m Optimistic About Our Nation’s Future.” The deadline is Nov. 1, and the national first-place winner will receive a $30,000 scholarship; and
- The Patriot’s Pen, a 300-400 word essay for students in grades six to eight based on the 2013-14 theme “What Patriotism Means to Me.” The deadline is Nov. 1, and the national first-place winner will receive a $10,000 scholarship.
Entry forms and complete contest rules for these two contests may be found at www.vfw.org/community.
Also, the Young American Creative Patriotic Art Contest invites students in grades nine to 12 to express their patriotism through artwork produced during the current school year and supervised by an art teacher. The deadline is March 31, 2014, and the national first-place winner will receive $10,000. Monetary prizes will also be given through eighth place. Entry forms and rules may be found at www.ladiesauxvfw.org under “Scholarship.”
Local and state winners in each contest also will receive awards.
All entries should be taken to VFW Firestone Post 3383, 690 W. Waterloo Road.
For details, contact Sharon Rospo at 330-472-0441.
More Education News
- Copley school board seeking high school principal
- Revere board asking for moratorium on state testing
- Revere PTA group names awardees
- Woodridge board asks state to monitor charter schools
- Students earn Eagle Scout honors
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Coventry Middle School teacher honored
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Cabin Fever Reliever - 3/29/2015
- Movie Matinee - 3/30/2015
- Teen Program: String Art - 3/30/2015
- Spring Health and Wellness Series: Himalayan Singing Bowls - 3/30/2015
- University of Akron Symphony Orchestra with Ting-Wei Chang and Mario Buchanan - 3/31/2015