VFW hosting scholarship contests
SOUTH AKRON — The Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States Firestone Post No. 3383 and its Ladies Auxiliary are sponsoring scholarships contests for students in pubic, private or parochial schools or in a home study program anywhere in the United States.
The contests include:
- The Voice of Democracy, a three- to five-minute audio essay for students in grades nine to 12, based on the 2013-14 theme or “Why I’m Optimistic About Our Nation’s Future.” The deadline is Nov. 1, and the national first-place winner will receive a $30,000 scholarship; and
- The Patriot’s Pen, a 300-400 word essay for students in grades six to eight based on the 2013-14 theme “What Patriotism Means to Me.” The deadline is Nov. 1, and the national first-place winner will receive a $10,000 scholarship.
Entry forms and complete contest rules for these two contests may be found at www.vfw.org/community.
Also, the Young American Creative Patriotic Art Contest invites students in grades nine to 12 to express their patriotism through artwork produced during the current school year and supervised by an art teacher. The deadline is March 31, 2014, and the national first-place winner will receive $10,000. Monetary prizes will also be given through eighth place. Entry forms and rules may be found at www.ladiesauxvfw.org under “Scholarship.”
Local and state winners in each contest also will receive awards.
All entries should be taken to VFW Firestone Post 3383, 690 W. Waterloo Road.
For details, contact Sharon Rospo at 330-472-0441.
More Education News
- APS instructor wins national award
- Two educational assistants added at Norton Primary
- Elms hosts neuroscience professor for student seminar
- Highland teachers, student recognized for outdoor education efforts
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Woodridge High School music students perform at Disney World
- NEOMED students offer hands-on learning
- Manchester taking steps for levies in May
- Springfield district working to help students improve
- Girls of Green collects items to benefit mothers in need
Calendar of Events
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 12/23/2014
- A New Beginning - 12/24/2014
- Presents for Nature Realm Critters - 12/24/2014
- School’s Out Cookout: bring hot dogs and buns - 12/26/2014
- A New Adventure - 12/27/2014