Norton school board approves personnel changes
At the Oct. 21 Norton City Schools Board of Education meeting, members approved several personnel changes in the district.
First, the board unanimously approved a maternity leave for Jobeth Carpenter, a precalculus/geometry teacher at the high school effective Jan. 6.
The board also unanimously approved the hiring of an educational assistant aide at Cornerstone Elementary School for two hours a day.
Three bus drivers were hired for the district, retroactive to Sept. 24: Krista McCartt, Julie Massey and Jennifer Cole.
The board also unanimously hired several substitutes. Certified substitute Christina Domer, and classified substitutes Stephanie Hrubik, Gloria Masters, Mary Anne Joyce, Lianne Fowler, Ellen Shaffer, Karen Warburton, Sara Ison and Kim Martin.
Finally, the board unanimously approved the hiring of Patti Lerner to the accounts payable position in the Treasurer’s Office retroactive to Oct. 1. Lerner was present at the meeting and spoke briefly about how she’s been enjoying her time getting to know the staff in the office, as well as throughout the district.
“I really love this district,” she said. “Before taking this position, I was volunteering at the primary schools.”
In other business, the board:
- heard a presentation on the new S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) program at Norton Middle School;
- approved the following donations: one flat-screen computer monitor, valued at $50 for Norton High School, donated by Tammy Hackenberg; a $25 donation for Cornerstone in Sarah Waugh’s name; and a donation of software “Math Plinko Grade 4-5” and “Math Quiz Show Grade 4-5” for Norton Middle donated by P.I.E.; and
- encouraged everyone to vote for the upcoming school levy on the Nov. 5 ballot.
“Every election is important,” said board member Jim Bennett. “But with this one, you have the potential to not only change our school, but our entire district.”
The next school board meeting is set for Nov. 18 at 7:30 p.m. in the Norton High School Media Center, located at 4108 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road.
More Education News
Calendar of Events
- Kids Yoga and Mindfulness: ages 7-10 - 1/19/2017
- “The Ditchdigger’s Daughter” - 1/19/2017
- “Top Hat” - 1/19/2017
- Double T Quilt Club - 1/19/2017
- Reimagining the Civic Commons: with the #CreativeSummit Community - 1/19/2017