St. Sebastian foundation offers scholarships
WEST AKRON — Because of contributions, the St. Sebastian Parish Foundation has scholarships available to students who attend St. Sebastian Parish School, as well as scholarship opportunities for current eighth-grade students who will attend a Catholic high school.
“The primary mission of the St. Sebastian Parish Foundation is to provide financial support to our school and church to ensure there is a future of stability, excellence and faith for generations to come,” said Director of Development Jennifer Knapp Ciarlariello.
The following are available:
- Students in grades kindergarten through eight are eligible for awards from the Dayspring Opportunity Scholarship Fund given to promote diversity.
- The St. Irene Principal’s Scholarship is given to students going into grades three through eight that exemplify the spirit of the school mission.
- The Frances L. Sharp Scholarship promotes musical arts.
- Boys going into grades six and seven are eligible for the BSA Troop 96 Scholarship.
- Students entering grades five through eight who serve as an altar server or usher can apply for the Sanctuary Society Service Scholarship.
- Students going into grades three through eight are eligible for the GOAL (Graves O’Neill Academic Leaders) Scholarship for a student who exemplifies leadership and academic excellence.
In addition to these scholarship opportunities, the St. Sebastian Parish Foundation also has nearly 30 endowments established to provide tuition assistance to students in need.
There also are opportunities available for current eighth-grade students who choose a Catholic high school. For those planning to attend Archbishop Hoban High School as a freshman, the William & Catherine Foley Memorial Scholarship is available. Students attending Our Lady of the Elms High School have the opportunity to receive a full-ride scholarship with the Beck Family Foundation Award. Students who select St. Vincent-St. Mary can apply for the Hanlon Family Scholarship, the Joseph P. Wheeler Memorial Scholarship, the Ralph C. Wheeler Memorial Scholarship, the Wheeler Family Gold Scholarship or the Wheeler Family Green Scholarship. Walsh Jesuit High School attendees can apply to the Beck Family Foundation Award for tuition for four years for a student in need, or the Gerstenmaier Family Scholarship for freshman tuition.
There are also four scholarships for eighth-grade students available to attend any area Catholic high school: the HASA Youth Christian Service Scholarships for a young man and a young woman, the Reverend Terry Peacock Scholarships given by the Knights of Columbus, Council No. 14255, and the Sanctuary Society Service Scholarship and St. Irene Principal’s Scholarship.
To contribute to an existing scholarship or start a new one for St. Sebastian students, contact Ciarlariello at 330-836-2233, ext. 113, or firstname.lastname@example.org. For details, deadlines and applications for scholarships, visit www.stsebastian.org/scholarships.
More Education News
Calendar of Events
- Mary’s Lane - 9/14/2014
- “The Sunset Limited” - 9/14/2014
- Second Sunday Dance - 9/14/2014
- Akron Big Band - 9/14/2014
- Adult Ceramics - 9/15/2014