UA program collects school supplies for Project RISE
|Photo courtesy of Project RISE|
The Civic Engagement Program, which is within the Department of Student Life at UA, is led by Alison Doehring.
The items were collected on campus and then delivered to Project RISE in the Akron Public Schools Administration Building. Project RISE is a federally funded program through the Ohio Department of Education. It is a collaborative effort by Akron Public Schools, local shelters and the community to provide supplemental educational services to children and youths who are experiencing homelessness.
Rachel Breece, child and family development specialist with Project RISE, and Doehring are shown above, from left, with some of the donated supplies.
After the supplies were delivered, items were taken to Trinity United Church of Christ, which provides Project RISE with a room for clothing, uniforms and supplies for students experiencing homelessness (by referral only).
The goal of the Civic Engagement Program is to develop programs and opportunities for UA students dedicated to service and volunteerism.
More Education News
Calendar of Events
- Kulas Concert Series: Zahari Metchkov and Joachim Reinhuber - 10/4/2015
- Walk to End Alzheimer’s to benefit Alzheimer’s Association - 10/4/2015
- Walk for Babies to benefit Akron Children’s Hospital - 10/4/2015
- Dixieland Jazz Concert and Jam - 10/4/2015
- Nature Drawing for Kids: ages 6-12 - 10/4/2015