ACESS honoring STEM students, officials
SOUTH AKRON — The Akron Council of Engineering and Scientific Societies (ACESS) will present its 66th annual Honors and Awards Banquet Nov. 7 at Guy’s Party Centre, 500 E. Waterloo Road, to recognize outstanding local science and mathematics high school students.
According to ACESS officials, the event is part of its mission to promote education in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM).
During the event, Certificates of Achievement will be given to the best science and math students in area high schools, as well as Science Fair winners. Also, grants will be given to kindergarten through 12th grade science teachers, and STEM scholarships will be awarded to students of The University of Akron (UA) and Kent State University (KSU).
Also planned is the presentation of the Distinguished Award of Council to KSU physics professor Satyendra Kumar and the ACESS Award to Gregg Loesch, a civil engineer with the city of Akron’s Department of Public Service.
The Distinguished Award of Council, presented annually since 1959, honors involvement in civic activities and recognizes technical and managerial abilities, according to ACESS officials.
The ACESS Award recognizes a member for outstanding contributions to the organization, according to ACESS officials.
In addition, professor Austin Melton, of the KSU Department of Computer Science and Mathematical Sciences Business Liaison and STEM internship students David Steinberg, Brian Katona and Addison Spriggs will discuss internships and co-op programs in a presentation titled, “Internships and Co-ops: Integrating Business Experiences and University Experiences.”
Networking and a STEM Showcase will be at 5:30 p.m., and dinner will be served at 6:30 p.m. The dinner costs $27 for adults and $15 for students. Those interested in attending should make reservations online at www.ACESSinc.org by today, Nov. 1.
The following students from the South Side News Leader coverage area will be recognized in the following categories or received scholarships:
- Outstanding High School Science and Math students: Malinda Baer and Travis Pero, Archbishop Hoban High School; Cassie Kelly and Luke Bogdanovich, Coventry High School; Taylor Dittrich and Ryan Hall, Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy; Matthew Stang and Nathan Nicholas, Green High School; Sarah Hercules and James Wallace, Manchester High School; Olivia Bennett and Hunter Blevins, Norton High School; Rylee Pence and Anthony McMullen, Springfield High School; Ann Graft and Derek Whiddon, St. Vincent-St. Mary High School (STVM); and Seon Jeon and Carter Carlos, Walsh Jesuit High School;
- Best of Show (High School) in the 65th Western Reserve District Science Day, March 16: STVM’s Whiddon for his project titled, “Finding the Most Effective Percent Composition of Hydrophilic and Hydrophobic Polymer Nanofibers to Yield Bacterial Resistance.” His award was $100;
- ExxonMobil/ACESS Scholarship Award of $1,500: Spriggs, KSU, biology with a molecular and cellular concentration;
- Bridgestone Americas/ACESS Scholarship Award of $1,500: Kriston Cline, UA, electronic engineering technologies;
- OMNOVA/ACESS Scholarship Award of $2,500: Timothy Moneypenny, UA, chemistry; and
- American Chemical Society Chemistry Scholarship of $500 each as Outstanding Junior Chemistry majors: Amanda Myhal, University of Mount Union; Eric Bidwell, KSU; Tiffany Marchewka, Hiram College; Andrew Dickerson, Malone University; and Taylor Sherrod, Walsh University.
For more details, visit www.acessinc.org.
More Education News
- Akron schools ready to open
- Firestone High School graduate awarded $2,500 scholarship
- Woodridge board, teachers union approve contract
- STVM students win at WEMUN Expo
- Copley-Fairlawn district readies for start of school
- Akron Zoo, APS provide supplies to students
- Project GRAD Akron receives contribution from AT&T
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Green officials field questions regarding softball improvements
- Springfield district approves personnel items at special meeting
- Manchester Old School Alumni support scholarship fund
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Kinderealm: Bees: for ages 3-6 - 8/27/2016
- Yoga - 8/27/2016
- Jazz Under the Stars: Mojo: The Generationís Big Band - 8/27/2016
- Barbara Knight Trio; Artwerk - 8/27/2016
- Catherine Gray Jackson Tribute Exhibition - 8/27/2016