South Side Education News & Notes
Former Manchester superintendent, local teachers honored
FAIRLAWN — Summit County’s 2013 All-County Teaching Team was honored and a countywide Teacher of the Year was named Oct. 28 during the Summit County Education Celebration at St. George Family Center.
In addition, former Manchester Local Schools Superintendent Marco Burnette received the 2013 Lifetime Achievement Award. Burnette was superintendent for 26 years and also served as a member on the Barberton City Schools Board of Education. Officials said Burnette’s achievements have been recognized with Phi Delta Kappa’s Educator of the Year Award for The University of Akron Chapter, The University of Akron Distinguished Education Alumni Award, Nolley Elementary V.I.P. Award and inclusion in the Barberton Sports Hall of Fame.
The 2013 All-County Teaching Team members were nominated by the community and chosen to represent their school systems by a selection committee, comprised of superintendents of each Summit County school district. In the South Side News Leader coverage area, the team includes Michelle Jones, Akron Public Schools; John Murray Jr., Coventry Local Schools; Irish Kuwatch, Green Local Schools; Scott Cantrell, Manchester Local Schools; Tricia Pletcher, Norton City Schools; Maria Schlenk, Portage Lakes Career Center; and Kristine DiLauro, Springfield Local Schools, as well as the parochial schools representative, Dave Dages, a teacher at St. Vincent-St. Mary High School, and the private schools representative, Cathy Shafer, a teacher at Chapel Hill Christian Academy.
Twinsburg City Schools’ Donna Houston was named Teacher of the Year. The Rookie of the Year is Daniel Vincent, an intervention specialist at Barberton Middle School.
The banquet was sponsored by Akron Children’s Hospital, the Summit County Educational Service Center, Clear Channel Radio, Akron Beacon Journal and Ohio.com, and Shannon English Marketing.
Kathleen Folkerth contributed to this report.
More Education News
- Norton board raises lunch prices for next school year
- Copley-Fairlawn board honors retirees
- Rachel’s Challenge helps others
- Results of Highland phone survey revealed
- Local high schools ranked by U.S. News & World Report
- Green district predicting healthy finances
- Board OKs new administration team for Coventry High School
- Manchester BOE OKs purchase of buses
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Laughing Club - 5/23/2015
- Grand Opening - 5/23/2015
- Celebrate 50 Years of the Nature Realm Arboretum - 5/23/2015
- Early Bird Hike - 5/23/2015
- Diamond Project Band with Eli’s Coming - 5/23/2015