APS Board honors Firestone runners
Firestone High School’s boys cross country team won the City Series championship for the 11th year in a row.
The runners and their coach, Tim Carroll, were honored at the Akron Public Schools (APS) Board of Education meeting Nov. 4.
Cross country strength is a tradition at Firestone, according to APS officials. Board President Jason Haas said the school’s teams have won the City Series title 12 of the past 13 seasons. He congratulated Carroll, a former Firestone runner, and the team for their “incredible talent and dedication throughout the entire season.”
Carroll thanked the coaches and runners who came before this year’s team for their legacy of success and said seven of the top 10 runners this year included: John Bowen, Stephen Dubetz, Harley Moyer, Nathan Herr, Quinn Gilbert, Jeremy Thomas and Jacob Petry.
In other business, the board approved a service agreement with The University of Akron (UA) to conduct the firefighter/EMT training program for Buchtel Community Learning Center’s career education students this school year. UA is a single-source provider for the $60,000 program.
The Ohio Department of Education has awarded the district with a $628,000 Early Childhood Education expansion grant for this year. The district applied for the grant to be used to support the needs of the public preschool program this year. This will serve 157 children, said Superintendent David James.
The student chosen to lead the Pledge of Allegiance at the Nov. 4 meeting was Madison Davenport, a fourth-grader at Helen Arnold Community Learning Center.
According to Haas, Madison is a “Helen Arnold superstar” who loves to read.
The board’s next regular meeting is scheduled for Nov. 18 at 5:30 p.m. at the Sylvester Small Administration Building, 70 N. Broadway St. in Downtown Akron.
More Education News
- Norton board raises lunch prices for next school year
- Copley-Fairlawn board honors retirees
- Rachel’s Challenge helps others
- Results of Highland phone survey revealed
- Local high schools ranked by U.S. News & World Report
- Green district predicting healthy finances
- Board OKs new administration team for Coventry High School
- Manchester BOE OKs purchase of buses
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Laughing Club - 5/23/2015
- Grand Opening - 5/23/2015
- Celebrate 50 Years of the Nature Realm Arboretum - 5/23/2015
- Early Bird Hike - 5/23/2015
- Diamond Project Band with Eli’s Coming - 5/23/2015