APS Board honors Firestone runners
Firestone High School’s boys cross country team won the City Series championship for the 11th year in a row.
The runners and their coach, Tim Carroll, were honored at the Akron Public Schools (APS) Board of Education meeting Nov. 4.
Cross country strength is a tradition at Firestone, according to APS officials. Board President Jason Haas said the school’s teams have won the City Series title 12 of the past 13 seasons. He congratulated Carroll, a former Firestone runner, and the team for their “incredible talent and dedication throughout the entire season.”
Carroll thanked the coaches and runners who came before this year’s team for their legacy of success and said seven of the top 10 runners this year included: John Bowen, Stephen Dubetz, Harley Moyer, Nathan Herr, Quinn Gilbert, Jeremy Thomas and Jacob Petry.
In other business, the board approved a service agreement with The University of Akron (UA) to conduct the firefighter/EMT training program for Buchtel Community Learning Center’s career education students this school year. UA is a single-source provider for the $60,000 program.
The Ohio Department of Education has awarded the district with a $628,000 Early Childhood Education expansion grant for this year. The district applied for the grant to be used to support the needs of the public preschool program this year. This will serve 157 children, said Superintendent David James.
The student chosen to lead the Pledge of Allegiance at the Nov. 4 meeting was Madison Davenport, a fourth-grader at Helen Arnold Community Learning Center.
According to Haas, Madison is a “Helen Arnold superstar” who loves to read.
The board’s next regular meeting is scheduled for Nov. 18 at 5:30 p.m. at the Sylvester Small Administration Building, 70 N. Broadway St. in Downtown Akron.
More Education News
- Firestone’s International Baccalaureate program enters 20th year
- Teacher granted second leave to serve as OEA president
- Fairlawn City Women’s Club makes scholarship awards
- Norton district voters to see levy on November ballot
- West Side Education News & Notes
- BVS awards students with scholarships
- Students enjoy outdoor program
Calendar of Events
- Nashville Crush with Joshua Surgeon & The Dusty Bottoms - 7/29/2016
- Kathleen Worgul, Carol Klingel, Marjorie Dettling - 7/29/2016
- Three Points of View: Art by Kathleen Worgul, Carol Klingel, Marjorie Dettling - 7/29/2016
- Almost Queen (Queen tribute) with Chris Allen & The Guilty Hearts - 7/29/2016
- Chardon Polka Band - 7/29/2016