Elms celebrates 90 years
|Photos courtesy of Our Lady of the Elms|
The party was attended by more than 200 guests, including alumnae, donors, past and current parents, faculty, staff, Board of Trustees members and the Dominican Sisters of Peace, according to school officials. Alumnae from all generations were represented, including Lois Brock, class of 1933, and most of the class of 1956.
The evening began with a prayer service lead by Sister Therese Leckert, O.P. The service ended with the Dominican Sisters standing with their hands over the guests as the Sisters sang a blessing.
Afterward, Ruth Friedman, Our Lady of the Elms chief administrative officer, honored the five Founding Lifetime Members of the St. Dominic Society, who are all West Akron residents with the exception of Columbus resident Sister Joan Scanlon, O.P. Accepting the awards were Ralph Bernard Jr. (The Ralph L. and Florence A. Bernard Foundation); Ann Amer Brennan ’51 (Ann Amer Brennan ’51 and David Brennan), shown above right with Friedman; Scanlon (Dominican Sisters of Peace); Lynn Holland Gorman ’74 (Lisa Holland-Toth ’76 and Lynn Holland Gorman ’74); and Cynthia Wayne Knight ’46.
Shown at top is Bernard next to a plaque honoring the five Founding Lifetime Members of the St. Dominic Society.
Sister Maria Ciriello, O.P., then gave a brief history of the school depicting the changes and traditions over the 90 years. The guests were then invited to explore the 90-year timeline, which spanned both the high school and elementary school building, delve into yearbooks and Elms newspapers and reminisce with fellow alumnae and members of the Elms community.
“This is just the beginning,” said Elms Director of External Relations Carli Kistler-Miller ’87, also an Elms alumna and parent. “We plan on celebrating all year in addition to a big birthday celebration on Feb. 22, 2014.”
More Education News
- Highland board revisits school rebuilding project
- Revere High School hosting Marching Band Invitational
- Revere celebrates five National Merit semifinalists
- Old Trail students find rare caterpillar
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Manchester officials discuss state report card results
- District recognizes board member
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Yoga and Mimosa; Yoga and Wine - 9/26/2016
- Kindle Fire Q&A - 9/26/2016
- Nothing Highbrow About Shakespeare - 9/26/2016
- Halloween Wreath - 9/27/2016
- Disaster Preparedness: Are You Ready - 9/27/2016