West Side Education News & Notes
Highland BOE approves agreement with union
GRANGER — The Highland Local Schools Board of Education held a special meeting Oct. 30 and unanimously approved a three-year negotiated agreement with the Highland Education Association.
The agreement will be in effect until July 30, 2016. According to district officials, the terms of the new contract include a pay increase of 1.5 percent for one year of the contract and 1.4 percent for two years over the three-year period, in addition to a new teacher evaluation system.
The board also approved changes to four policies regarding the new teacher evaluation system in accordance with Ohio law.
The next Highland Board of Education meeting is set for Nov. 18 at 7 p.m. in the Media Center at Highland High School, 4150 Ridge Road.
Akron Water Supply Bureau expands partnership with APS
AKRON — The Akron Water Supply Bureau has announced the expansion of a current educational partnership with the Akron Public Schools (APS) providing students with innovative learning opportunities associated with the drinking water industry.
Technical staff at the city’s Water Supply Bureau will now provide in-class presentations on water-related science and technology topics to students enrolled in environmental science classes at Buchtel, East and Firestone high schools. In addition, Akron Water will offer transportation to students and faculty to visit Akron’s drinking water treatment facility, which will include guided tours, environmental education and research opportunities within the treatment plant, laboratory and protected watershed properties.
“Akron Water has had an excellent educational partnership with the National Inventors Hall of Fame School Center for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math, and we are pleased to offer these additional educational opportunities to other Akron Public School science programs,” said Akron Service Director John Moore.
The city also currently offers work-study programs at Akron Water, including student intern employment opportunities for high school seniors and cooperative education employment opportunities for university engineering students.
For more information, visit www.akronohio.gov/water or call 330-678-0077, ext. 437.
Stephanie Kist and Scott Kriska contributed to these reports.
More Education News
- APS Genius Challenge teams win Best Performance award
- SGWS showing ‘Screenagers’
- Board sets staff appreciation week
- Firestone honored at world tourney
- Revere receives audit award for third consecutive year
- Norton BOE OKs summer Kindergarten Readiness program
- Woodridge preparing for building project
- Manchester voters to see bond issue on August ballot
Calendar of Events
- Small Footprint: Road Trip - 5/5/2016
- University of Akron Symphony Orchestra - 5/5/2016
- “Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens” - 5/5/2016
- Homeschoolers: Backyard Pollinators: ages 7-10 - 5/6/2016
- University of Akron: Brass Quintets; Jazz Guitar Ensemble - 5/6/2016