Norton district moving toward school construction project
At the Nov. 18 meeting, the Norton City Schools Board of Education got the ball rolling in the district’s school construction project.
The board unanimously approved a resolution providing for the issuance and sale of notes of the school district in an aggregate principal amount not to exceed $22.8 million in anticipation of the issuance of bonds for the school construction project.
“We’ve been waiting for this moment for a long time,” said Cindy Webel, president of the school board.
The resolution states the purpose of the bonds is constructing, furnishing, equipping, adding to, renovating, remodeling, rehabilitating and improving school district buildings and facilities, and acquiring, clearing, improving and equipping real estate for school purposes.
The resolution is a result of the passage of the district’s 3.89-mill bond issue in the Nov. 5 General Election. Funds from the bond issue allow the district to build a new high school and close two of its oldest buildings. The district also is slated to receive 51 percent of funds for the project from the Ohio Facilities Construction Commission.
“I just want to thank everyone who supported this issue and worked to get it passed, especially the voters,” said Superintendent David Dunn. “We will continue to keep you [the community] informed of our progress with this project.”
According to district officials, the project includes the construction of a new high school, as well as converting the current high school into the middle school and selling or demolishing aging Cornerstone and Grill elementary schools. The current middle school would be used as an elementary school for first through fourth grades. The Norton Primary School building would be the site for prekindergarten and kindergarten classes.
“We’re excited to get started on this project,” Dunn said.
The board also approved several personnel changes, including:
- the resignations of Norita Blue, middle school playground employee; and Gladys Anderson, high school winter drama director;
- paid and unpaid leave of Jackie Mohseninia, high school Language Arts Department chair; and Gennifer Yaggi, Grill Elementary School kindergarten teacher.
- supplemental positions, pending background and permit checks, for William Vaill, high school winter drama director; Jake Schwendiman, middle school drama director; and Martin Davis, middle school drama director;
- a classified position for Alexus White, pending a background and license check, as a food service cook;
- classified substitute personnel, pending background and license checks, for Jasmine Colwell, Amelia Murph, James Foraker, Michelle Sexton, Kendra Mars, Candice Underation and Ingrid Stillman and Renee Mason; and
- noncertified/nonlicensed supplemental positions, pending background and permit checks, for Mike Sayre, for high school bowling coach, and Katrina Elfrink, for high school bowling volunteer.
In other business, the board:
√ heard a presentation on parent and community classes that will be taught in January. The classes will focus on different types of technology and how parents and community members can use it to interact with students;
√ accepted donations of $500 for the football athlete of the year scholarship donated by Taco Bell/Pacific Bell Inc.; $500 for school/incentives and programs for Grill Elementary donated by Susan Meleney/Thomson Reuters; and $489 for a projector donated from Cornerstone P.A.C.E.; and
√ congratulated all the fall athletes, including the high school marching band, for their seasons.
The next regular school board meeting is set for Dec. 16 at 7:30 p.m. in the Norton High School Media Center, 4108 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road.
More Education News
- ‘Conceptual agreement’ reached with Copley teachers union
- Revere board approves lunch price increase
- Woodridge seeking raffle car to help fund activities
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Green offering breakfast for all students
- APS focus on digital needs, offerings
- Manchester officials considering new bus purchase
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014