Revere school board approves bid for sewer project
At the meeting held Nov. 19, the Revere Local Schools Board of Education reviewed bids submitted for the Bath Elementary sewer project.
Bids were placed by five companies and are as follows; Nerone & Sons with the lowest bid of $99,800, Mr. Excavator with a bid of $131,000, Cavanaugh Building Corp. with a bid of $131,400, Senn Construction Co. with a bid of $133,918 and Lockhart Concrete Co. with a bid of $149,900.
Treasurer David Forrest said all the companies also were evaluated on the quality of their work, references from past jobs and past work that has been completed. Based on all of the information collected, Forrest recommended the board accept Nerone & Sons’ bid for the sewer project, and board members approved the recommendation 5-0.
“Bath Township has used this company for projects in the past, and they gave a very positive recommendation,” Forrest said. “And the reason their bid is so much lower than the others is that they won’t have to contract out a lot of the work that some of the other companies would.”
Board President Claudia Hower asked how soon the work could begin.
Forrest said the expected start date would be in the first week of January.
“They do horizontal drilling,” Forrest explained, “so cold weather is not an issue for them.”
The horizontal drilling also will significantly reduce the amount of property that has to be torn up for this project, he said. According to Forrest, only a small part of the parking lot at Bath Elementary will be dug up, and the rest will be drilled underground.
Board members also approved a resolution, with a vote of 4-0, with Hower abstaining, to reimburse parents of students who live in the district but attend other schools, such as private schools, and must be bused. Parents will be reimbursed about $200 per child for the school year, according to district officials.
District Superintendent Randy Boroff said this is something the district does every year.
In other business, the board:
- congratulated the Revere High School boys soccer team on winning the Division II state championship, the football team on bringing back the bell from Copley High School after defeating the team Nov. 1, and all other fall athletics and extracurriculars on a good season;
- unanimously approved the disposal of computers that have been deemed unusable by the district. The computers will be salvaged for any useable parts, and then given to a company that recycles them at no cost to the district;
- unanimously approved the transfer of $200,000 from the General Fund into the Food Services Fund. The food service program is currently operating in a deficit, according to Forrest, and this money should help them to continue to run through the remainder of the school year. Any funds left over at that time will be transferred back into the General Fund;
- approved a leave of absence for Bridget Wirfel from Dec. 20 through the end of the 2014-15 school year with a vote of 4-1, with board member Diana Sabitsch voting against such a lengthy leave;
- unanimously approved six week leaves of absence for Amanda McCrary and Stephanie Duttry.
- unanimously approved the retirement of Kevin Matowitz.
The board will meet for a special meeting Dec. 10 at 5:30 p.m. in the Administration Building, 3496 Everett Road, and for its regular meeting Dec. 17 at 6:30 p.m. in the Revere High School Library, 3420 Everett Road.
More Education News
- APS instructor wins national award
- Two educational assistants added at Norton Primary
- Elms hosts neuroscience professor for student seminar
- Highland teachers, student recognized for outdoor education efforts
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Woodridge High School music students perform at Disney World
- NEOMED students offer hands-on learning
- Manchester taking steps for levies in May
- Springfield district working to help students improve
- Girls of Green collects items to benefit mothers in need
Calendar of Events
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 12/23/2014
- A New Beginning - 12/24/2014
- Presents for Nature Realm Critters - 12/24/2014
- School’s Out Cookout: bring hot dogs and buns - 12/26/2014
- A New Adventure - 12/27/2014