South Side Education News & Notes
Walsh names 2014 Safety Kids Calendar winners
SUMMIT COUNTY — Summit County Prosecutor Sherri Bevan Walsh recently announced the winners of the 2014 Safety Kids Calendar contest at an awards ceremony at the Akron-Summit County Main Library.
Of the 1,329 posters submitted, Tallmadge Middle School student Heather House’s entry was chosen as the grand-prize winner. House’s poster, which advises children to avoid gangs and to “be yourself, not someone else,” will be on the cover of the 2014 Safety Kids calendar.
Walsh, along with emcees Tim Daugherty from WONE-FM and Sue Wilson from WQMX-FM, presented the winners with congratulatory certificates and gift cards in front of an audience of family, friends, teachers and contest judges. The evening started with the presentation of the flag by the Summit County Sheriff’s Office Honor Guard and an a cappella rendition of the national anthem by Miller South School for the Visual and Performing Arts students Kate Klika, Reyna Moran and Sabrina Reed.
Each of the first-place posters will be featured in the 2014 Safety Kids Calendar and on billboards throughout Summit County. The grand-prize and first-place winners and their posters also will be included in a public service announcement with Walsh that will air on WBNX-TV: The CW.
Winners in the South Side News Leader’s coverage area included:
• Rule 1: Trust yourself! Don’t give in to peer pressure.
√ Third place: Sierra Boggs, eighth grade, Coventry Middle School
• Rule 4: Never play with guns!
√ Second place: Brianna Yovanovich, seventh grade, Spring Hill Junior High School
• Rule 10: Say NO to gangs!
√ Second place: Audrey Hepler, sixth grade, Lakeview Intermediate
• Rule 12: Violence at home is never OK. Your home should be a safe place.
√ Second place: Allison Baker, eighth grade, Spring Hill Junior High School
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Education News
- APS Genius Challenge teams win Best Performance award
- SGWS showing ‘Screenagers’
- Board sets staff appreciation week
- Firestone honored at world tourney
- Revere receives audit award for third consecutive year
- Norton BOE OKs summer Kindergarten Readiness program
- Woodridge preparing for building project
- Manchester voters to see bond issue on August ballot
Calendar of Events
- Cake Decorating - 5/4/2016
- Woodshop Orientation - 5/4/2016
- Adult Pottery - 5/4/2016
- University of Akron Symphonic Band - 5/4/2016
- Small Footprint: Road Trip - 5/5/2016