Stamp collector promotes hobby for youths
|William Melver presented a framed stamp exhibit to the Judith A. Resnik Community Learning Center recently. Melver hopes to get children interested in stamp collecting.|
|Photo: Kathleen Folkerth|
Now the West Hill resident would like to see more young people pick up the hobby that he said has enriched his life so much.
“Stamps are such great media for teaching or relating stories, from historic events to geography and culture,” said Melver, who is a member of several stamp organizations, including the Rubber City Stamp Club.
During that group’s recent stamp exhibition, Melver entered a framed display he put together of stamp covers with the image of Akron native and Challenger Space Shuttle crew member Judith Resnik. He earned a silver medal for the exhibit, he said.
After that, he decided to donate the framed exhibit to the Judith A. Resnik Community Learning Center in West Akron. The school was named for Resnik after it was rebuilt because Resnik attended the school when it was named Fairlawn Elementary School.
During a holiday assembly at the school Dec. 3, Melver presented the exhibit to Resnik Principal Tammy Brady, who said she plans to have the display hung in the school’s learning resource center.
Melver said he has approached Brady and officials at other local schools to see if any teachers are interested in curriculum materials available from stamp organizations. The American Philatelic Society, of which he is a member, has a program called Stamps Teach available for educators.
“We’ve got some curriculum designed in conjunction with the Smithsonian,” he said. “We have members of our club just dying to be mentors to kids and put together exhibits. Kids love to collect things, so if we present it right, maybe we can get some kids interested in it. There are tons of materials free for the asking.”
Melver said the Rubber City Stamp Club meets the first Friday of the month at 8 p.m. at Montrose Zion United Methodist Church, 565 N. Cleveland-Massillon Road in Bath. For more information on stamp collecting, he recommends the American Philatelic Society website, www.stamps.org.
Melver can be reached at email@example.com.
More Education News
- Akron schools ready to open
- Firestone High School graduate awarded $2,500 scholarship
- Woodridge board, teachers union approve contract
- STVM students win at WEMUN Expo
- Copley-Fairlawn district readies for start of school
- Akron Zoo, APS provide supplies to students
- Project GRAD Akron receives contribution from AT&T
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Green officials field questions regarding softball improvements
- Springfield district approves personnel items at special meeting
- Manchester Old School Alumni support scholarship fund
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Gospel Sundays: Tampa Murphy and the Highland Square Community Choir - 8/28/2016
- Billy Crowbeak - 8/28/2016
- Phenology: Whispers from Mother Nature - 8/28/2016
- Family Story Time - 8/28/2016
- Yoga and Mimosa; Yoga and Wine - 8/29/2016