Green Primary principal makes good on promise
|Photos: Joyce Rainey Long|
Shank had promised students he would shave his head if they raised more than $40,000 for the Bulldog Dash, the third annual 5K run and 1-mile fun walk fundraiser held Oct. 6 at Green Memorial Stadium. The event reached that goal, thanks to a recent donation of $4,000 from the Lou Rawls Foundation, according to school officials.
Students are shown above at a school-wide assembly organized for the shaving event. Students screamed “Mr. Shank, Mr. Shank, Mr. Shank,” and the Green High School Pep Band played loudly.
Phil Ridgeway, owner of Phabulous Phil’s Barber Shop in Green, shaved Shank’s head, pictured at right top. Ridgeway gave Shank stripes and horns before he shaved all of his hair off, shown at right bottom.
“You set a goal and you achieved it,” Shank told the first-, second- and third-graders. “I am a man of my word, and I am going to shave my head. The last time I buzzed my hair was in middle school. I hope it grows back. I did this to help motivate students to reach their goals.”
First-grader Mia Willis said she “power walked” at the Dash and had sponsors.
“I am proud of my family and friends for giving me money,” she said, adding that her principal “looks silly without hair.”
Money raised from the Bulldog Dash event will be used to purchase instructional resources in the classroom for both Green Primary and Greenwood Elementary schools, according to Shank.
“We offer a top-notch educational experience at Green [Local School District], and these funds help us to continue to do this,” he said.
— By Joyce Rainey Long
More Education News
- APS Genius Challenge teams win Best Performance award
- SGWS showing ‘Screenagers’
- Board sets staff appreciation week
- Firestone honored at world tourney
- Revere receives audit award for third consecutive year
- Norton BOE OKs summer Kindergarten Readiness program
- Woodridge preparing for building project
- Manchester voters to see bond issue on August ballot
Calendar of Events
- University of Akron Concert Band - 5/2/2016
- University of Akron University Band - 5/3/2016
- Local Brew: R. Shea Brewery - 5/3/2016
- Stress and Your Total Wellness Workshop - 5/3/2016
- American Sewing Guild Fairlawn Group: - 5/3/2016