St. Hilary students earn first place in competition
|Photo courtesy of St. Hilary School|
Their win qualifies the team to advance to the Akron District FIRST LEGO League tournament in January, which will take place at The University of Akron.
Coached by Philip and Angela Jorgenson, the Saberbots also received the Ambassadors’ Award in recognition of the outreach and mentoring the team did this season, and placed third in the robot game.
Shown above, from left, are members of the St. Hilary Saberbots: (front) Rachel Reese, Jake Thoman, Elizabeth Jorgenson and Patrick Delaney; (center) Michael Rodgers, Josh Parisi, Victor Vogt, Michael Jorgenson and Josh Ison; and (back) Spencer Hudak.
Also competing was the sixth-grade Saber Swag team, consisting of Christian Lewandowski, Bradley Lyons, Joey Onderko, Braden Ost and Kieran Tracy, and the fourth-grade Saberdroids team, including Jacob Cook, Collin McDermott, Mark Nester, Nathan Ost, Paul Slanina, David Soltz, Will Stobb, Kathleen Tracy and Luke Werckman. The Saber Swag placed 13th in the robot competition.
The team’s focus has been on increasing education and awareness of tsunami preparedness. The students designed a public service announcement using the slogan “Think First, Act Fast” and a coordinating wristband to teach elementary students to plan for emergencies.
The Saberdroids finished sixth in the robot competition, and the team was recognized by the judges for Strategy and Innovation in Robot Design, Inspiration in Core Values and Research in the Project. Saber Swag is coached by Melissa Ost, while the Saberdroids are coached by Rose Soltz and Christine Tracey. This is the first year for both teams.
FIRST LEGO League teams compete using LEGO Mindstorm robots. FIRST is an acronym for “For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology.”
More Education News
- Norton board proceeding with field house project
- Revere moving forward with district building project
- Woodridge athletes honored by Cuyahoga Falls mayor
- District seeking bids for secure school vestibules
- Highland board acknowledges district awards
- Highland students learn from NEOMED students
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Coventry school board, union reach agreement
Calendar of Events
- Glass Fusing with Marianne Hite - 12/7/2016
- Weekday Walkers - 12/7/2016
- Christmas Cards Workshop - 12/7/2016
- “Once” - 12/7/2016
- Story Time - 12/7/2016