West Side Education News & Notes
2014 Envirothon set for April 30
NORWALK — The 2014 Area II Envirothon will take place April 30 at Bronson-Norwalk Conservation League, 295 Townline Road 151.
The Envirothon is an outdoor academic competition in which teams of high school students test their knowledge of soils, wildlife, aquatic ecology, forestry and current environmental issues. Each team consists of five students from the same high school. They work together to answer questions at five test stations. Each year there is an area of focus, and this year’s environmental issue is “Sustainable Agriculture/Locally Grown.”
The tests are graded, and the top four teams move on to the state competition, which will take place June 9-10 at Salt Fork State Park in Guernsey County. The winning team from the state competition will move on to the National Canon North American Envirothon, which will take place July 20-24 at the University of Georgia.
The Envirothon exposes students to natural resource professionals and current conservation issues.
For more information on participating in the Envirothon, call the Summit Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) at 330-929-2871, ext.16.
Packets including entry forms and information will be sent to Summit County high schools in early January. Interested home school teachers should call the SWCD to have packets sent to them.
The forms will need to be sent to the Summit SWCD office at 2525 State Road, Cuyahoga Falls, OH, 44223, no later than March 21.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Education News
- Norton board raises lunch prices for next school year
- Copley-Fairlawn board honors retirees
- Rachel’s Challenge helps others
- Results of Highland phone survey revealed
- Local high schools ranked by U.S. News & World Report
- Green district predicting healthy finances
- Board OKs new administration team for Coventry High School
- Manchester BOE OKs purchase of buses
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Boogie Woogie Books - 5/26/2015
- A New Beginning - 5/27/2015
- Feeding Time: ages 5 and older - 5/27/2015
- Anime Club - 5/27/2015
- Summer Volunteer Orientation: ages 12-18 - 5/27/2015