Two reappointed Revere BOE members serving two-year terms
Revere Local Schools Board of Education (BOE) members Claudia Hower and George Seifert were reappointed at the board’s organizational meeting Jan. 14, but the two will serve terms of just two years.
According to Treasurer David Forrest, the board learned during its organizational meeting Jan. 8 of a Summit County Prosecutor’s Office opinion that the two, who were disqualified from running in the Nov. 5 General Election meeting due to petition errors, can be reappointed to their seats under what’s called a holdover provision, but for only a two-year period.
No other district residents had petitioned to run for the seats, and there were no write-in candidates. Hower and Seifert had both said they were interested in continuing to serve on the board.
Forrest said once the two-year terms are up, Hower and Seifert, if they wish to keep their seats, will be required to run for election for additional two-year terms, which will keep the election schedule staggered for members. Terms are for four years.
Because of the uncertainly at the meeting Jan. 8, Forrest said members held off taking any action as planned and rescheduled the organizational meeting for this week. During the meeting, Hower was again selected to lead the board as president this year, and Seifert was chosen again to be vice president.
In other business, the board met at Bath Elementary School Jan. 13 for a planned tour of the facility as part of the board’s efforts to evaluate the district’s buildings. They also were expected to visit Revere Middle School that night. Not scheduled yet are tours of Revere High School and Hillcrest Elementary School.
“They will be looking at everything from boiler rooms to classrooms and cafeterias,” Forrest said.
The Revere BOE will meet for a regular meeting Jan. 21 at 6:30 p.m. in the Revere High School Library, 3420 Everett Road.
More Education News
- APS officials not worried about making up snow days
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Norton school board approves contract for treasurer
- St. Hilary School teacher honored
- Revere C.A.R.E. hosting Malley’s fundraiser
- Highland district to benefit from new tax abatement
- Highland Pride Committee accepting nominations
- Snow day issues raised in Akron
- APS to create health career academy
Calendar of Events
- Creative Writing for Homeschoolers - 3/5/2015
- University of Akron Symphony Orchestra - 3/5/2015
- Paws and Prayers’ Paws Vegas - 3/6/2015
- Homeschoolers: Green Thumbs - 3/6/2015
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Kickoff Party - 3/6/2015