Revere board moves improvement projects forward
The Revere Local Schools Board of Education moved forward several projects totaling about $1.8 million during the Jan. 21 meeting.
The board unanimously agreed to authorize Treasurer David Forrest to have bid specifications developed and then issue requests for proposals for several projects. According to district officials, the projects, which will be funded from the Permanent Improvement Fund, and their estimated costs include:
√ Revere Middle School: roof replacement in certain areas of the building, $110,000;
√ Revere High School: roof replacement in certain areas of the building, $140,000; phase 1 of auditorium renovations, $200,000;
√ Revere Middle School: replacement of several windows, $549,000;
√ Hillcrest Elementary School: replacement of several windows, $574,000; and
√ Bath Elementary School: replacement of several windows, $250,000.
“There is about $1.8 million in project costs we’re talking about here,” said Forrest. “We must be very conscious of the budget as we move forward with these projects to ensure we do not overspend.”
The board also agreed to transfer $75,000 from the General Fund into the Permanent Improvement Fund to pay for future contingencies.
The board also approved the following:
- a leave of absence for Hillcrest second-grade teacher Amanda McCrary. The board also approved Jason Garden as the long-term substitute to replace her through the end of the 2013-14 school year;
- the resignations of Revere Middle School language arts teacher Lori Duke (effective Jan. 31) and Athletic Director Bill Schumacher (effective at the end of the 2013-14 school year).
Superintendent Randy Boroff expressed his sadness that these two staff members were leaving, but wished them the best of luck in all their future endeavors;
- a salary increase for third-grade teacher Kathy Staats for completing extra training;
- the supplemental contracts for Phil Heyn as junior varsity baseball coach; Dominique Rodgers and Steve Wido as freshman baseball coaches; Nick Pappas (head coach), Nick Gabel (assistant coach) and Jake Totten (volunteer) for boys lacrosse; Mark Purdy and Chuck Gough as volunteers for boys track; and Christine Michalos (head coach) and Emily Moore (assistant coach) for girls lacrosse;
- the hiring of Jill Nestor as a substitute playground aide;
- the creation of a faculty-managed student activity account for the Robotics Club Fund. The fund will be set in the amount of $1,000, and while the board will probably have to advance some money to the club in the beginning, it is hoped that it will become independently funded through donations and fundraising in the future, according to Forrest; and
- the purchase of 7 acres located at 2636 Brecksville Road for $570,500 to build a bus garage on the property.
The school board will meet for a special meeting Feb. 11 at 5:30 p.m. in the Administration Building, located at 3496 Everett Road, and for its regular meeting Feb. 18 at 6:30 p.m. in the Revere High School Library, located at 3420 Everett Road.
More Education News
Calendar of Events
- Verb Ballets: “Works Reimagined: Continuing the Legacy of Heinz Poll”; “Carnival of the Animals” - 2/19/2017
- Akron Baroque and Singers Companye - 2/19/2017
- Pinterest Projects: Succulents - 2/19/2017
- “Pete’s Dragon” - 2/20/2017
- Friends of the Maltz Museum’s Presidents’ Day Celebration - 2/20/2017