St. Hilary Saberbots advance to state tournament
|Photo courtesy of St. Hilary School|
Shown below with The University of Akron mascot Zippy at the Akron District FIRST LEGO League tournament is the team, which is composed of St. Hilary School seventh- and eighth-graders. Shown from left are: (front) Michael Rodgers, Michael Jorgenson, Rachel Reese, Victor Vogt, Josh Ison, Jake Thoman and Patrick Delaney; and (back) Spencer Hudak, Elizabeth Jorgenson and Josh Parisi.
Coached by Philip and Angela Jorgenson, the Saberbots will advance to the state tournament as one of two Ambassador teams from Northeast Ohio.
Ambassador teams do additional outreach during the season. The Saberbots created tailored workshops for four other teams the Saberbots mentored, including fourth- and sixth-grade teams from St. Hilary, plus the Twinsburg RoboTigers and Slightly Different from Aurora. The other teams had met the Saberbots at previous competitions and asked for help in certain areas, according to team officials.
After earning the Champions’ Award (first place overall award) at the Time Warner/Solon Regional FIRST LEGO League Tournament in December, the Saberbots most recently competed at the Akron District FIRST LEGO League tournament earlier this month.
FIRST LEGO League teams compete using LEGO Mindstorm robots. FIRST is an acronym for For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology, underscoring the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics-based focus of the program.
More Education News
- APS officials not worried about making up snow days
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Norton school board approves contract for treasurer
- St. Hilary School teacher honored
- Revere C.A.R.E. hosting Malley’s fundraiser
- Highland district to benefit from new tax abatement
- Highland Pride Committee accepting nominations
- Snow day issues raised in Akron
- APS to create health career academy
Calendar of Events
- The Nile and African Identity - 3/2/2015
- American Sewing Guild Fairlawn Group - 3/3/2015
- Civic Engagement and Managing Water Resources in Northeast Ohio and Globally - 3/3/2015
- The Nile Project: Interactive Performance & Capstone Concert - 3/3/2015
- Ohio and Erie Canal: A Timeline - 3/4/2015