STAR Award program honors Highland teachers, staff
|Highland Middle School custodian Norm Hazen is presented with his STAR Awards from Buddy and Delsin Ross by the Bon Bon Cakery owner Jennifer Von Harten.|
|Granger Elementary fifth-grade teacher Pam Loch receives a STAR Award from Dominic Pidalla.|
|Granger Elementary third-grade teacher Julie Spaite receives a Highland Diamond STAR Award from Isabella Goyette.|
|Granger Elementary third-grade teacher Carol Grande receives a Highland Diamond STAR Award from Liam Wright.|
|Photos courtesy of Michelle Cottrell|
The Staff and Teacher Award Recognition (STAR) program honors a Highland teacher, staff or community member for his or her outstanding achievements. Each award recipient is presented with a certificate and a box of bonbons from the Bon Bon Cakery or, new this year, the Highland Diamond tree ornament etched by Carrie Rischmiller.
STAR Award Recipients for the 2013 Holiday Campaign included:
- Highland Middle School — Norm Hazen and Anna Tayler;
- Sharon Elementary School — Kara Dominak, Violet Frye, Barbara McMahon and Kathy Solmonski; and
- Granger Elementary School — Diane Bloniak, Kim Ginley, Carol Grande, Cindy Graves, Ellen Harner, Julie Humberson, Tina Hummel, Colleen Hyland, Emily Kaplack, Lauren Lawson, Pam Loch, Amy Lyon, Lisa Nar, Julie Spaite, Stacey Tessena and Joan Zacharias.
Proceeds from the STAR program are used to fund learning opportunities for Highland Local Schools and the community, according to the foundation. The Highland Foundation awards grants for classroom innovation, special needs, musical enrichment and artist-in-residences. Grants are awarded for projects and programs that demonstrate creative teaching practices, seek to engage students and explore new and imaginative curriculum ideas.
More Education News
Calendar of Events
- “Reasons to Be Happy” - 1/24/2017
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 1/25/2017
- Tuesday Musical: Imani Winds - 1/25/2017
- Full Circle Storytelling - 1/25/2017
- CrOoKeD - 1/25/2017