Area schools best competition at MATHCOUNTS
DOWNTOWN AKRON — The 31st annual Akron-area MATHCOUNTS competition took place Feb. 1 at The University of Akron (UA) Student Union.
Sixth-, seventh- and eighth-grade students from 10 area middle schools in Summit, Portage and Stark counties competed. In the West Side Leader’s coverage area, students from Copley-Fairlawn Middle School, St. Hilary School in Fairlawn and Old Trail School and Revere Middle School in Bath competed.
The competition is locally sponsored by the Akron District Society of Professional Engineers and The University of Akron.
The competition is composed of a series of individual, team, written and oral math tests. Two top teams and four top individuals will go to state competition in Columbus March 8. Four top individuals from the state competition will go to national competition in Orlando, Fla., May 9.
The West Side Leader-area schools’ results include:
- Team competition:
√ first place — the Revere Middle School team of Jason Fan, Jack Krew, Thomas Li and Victoria Liu and coach Lori Weigand;
√ second place — the Copley-Fairlawn Middle School team of Ayman Bayachou, Ken Fuchino, Georgia Shay and Yullie Yun and coach Jill Jones;
√ third place — the Old Trail School team of Luke Armao, Jacob Cashman, Matthew Groll and Andrew Heater and coach Colleen Pariso; and
√ fourth place — the St. Hilary School team of Paul Nemer, Josh Parisi, Michael Rodgers and Victor Vogt and coach Katie Heuer.
The Revere and Copley-Fairlawn teams advance to state.
- Individual competition (written exam): Ken Fuchino, Copley-Fairlawn, first place; Josh Parisi, St. Hilary, second place; Michael Rodgers, St. Hilary, third place; Georgia Shay, Copley-Fairlawn, fourth place; Luke Armao, Old Trail, sixth place; Jason Fan, Revere, seventh place; Tiger Du, Revere, eighth place; Patrick Guerreau, Revere, ninth place; Thomas Li, Revere, 10th place; Jack Krew, Revere, 11th place; and Victoria Liu, Revere, 20th place. Ayman Bayachou and Yullie Yun, of Copley-Fairlawn, also competed.
- Individual competition (oral round): Georgia Shay, Copley-Fairlawn, first place; Ken Fuchino, Copley-Fairlawn, second place; Josh Parisi, St. Hilary, third place; and Michael Rodgers, St. Hilary, fourth place.
In addition to the Revere and Copley-Fairlawn teams, individuals advancing to state include Josh Parisi and Michael Rodgers, of St. Hilary, and Luke Armao, of Old Trail.
More Education News
Calendar of Events
- Wildlife and Wood Workshop: Squirrel Feeder - 2/13/2016
- Laughing Club - 2/13/2016
- David Allan Coe - 2/13/2016
- “Death of a Man” - 2/13/2016
- Puppet Show: Mindy Mouse Finds a Flower - 2/13/2016