Norton district moves forward with construction project
The Norton City School Board of Education approved two resolutions related to construction projects the district is getting ready to begin after voters approved a 3.89-mill bond issue last November.
Funds from the bond issue will allow the district to build a new high school and close two of its oldest buildings. The total cost for the project is about $32 million, with the bond issue raising $15.8 million and the Ohio Facilities Construction Commission (OFCC) contributing $16.3 million.
The first resolution the board approved was the architecture/engineer agreement with MKC Associates Inc. for design services.
The board also approved an architecture/engineer agreement with MKC Associates for the new stadium complex and softball field.
Also during the meeting, the board approved:
- a leave of absence for Erin Fulton, Grill Elementary first-grade teacher; the resignation of Jana Luscher, a high school algebra/calculus teacher; and the retirement of Elaine Miller, high school head cook;
- the hiring of certified substitute personnel: Kaleigh Bartula, Amber Flores, Steven Hoerger and Sherrie Coon, Jean Angeloff and Richard Mackey Jr.;
- the nonrenewal of supplemental contracts for extracurricular supplemental positions at the end of the 2013-14 school year, as well as the nonrenewal of supplemental contracts for extended time at the end of the 2013-14 school year;
- limited contract renewals and continuing contracts for several certified staff members;
- compensation for Norton Professional Development Committee members for the completion of their work for the 2013-14 school year: Cindy Addis, David Dunn, Denise Followay, Joyce Gerber and May Olivieri (before the board voted on this compensation, board member Jason Sams said that in the future he would like to know why the administrative staff is getting this extra money, but he appreciates the work that has been done this year, and therefore was in favor of this compensation);
- the nonrenewal of all certified substitutes listed at the end of the 2013-14 year and the certified substitute list for the 2014-15 school year;
- the nonrenewal of all classified substitutes listed at the end of the 2013-14 school year and the classified substitute list for the 2014-15 year;
- the calendar for the 2014-15 school year, with Aug. 19 being the first day of school and May 28 being the last day;
- the high school student handbook;
- two overnight trips for the band; and
- permission to advertise for bids for the middle school locker room and vocational building roof project.
Board members also said the district will be selling general obligation school improvement bonds, interest free, to the public beginning next week. For more information or to purchase bonds, contact Stifel at 800-225-8520 or Piper Jaffray, part of the Charles Schwab Fairlawn office, at 330-835-5348.
The next school board meeting is set for May 19 at 7:30 p.m. in the Norton High School Media Center, 4108 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road.
More Education News
- Norton board proceeding with field house project
- Revere moving forward with district building project
- Woodridge athletes honored by Cuyahoga Falls mayor
- District seeking bids for secure school vestibules
- Highland board acknowledges district awards
- Highland students learn from NEOMED students
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Coventry school board, union reach agreement
Calendar of Events
- Glass Fusing with Marianne Hite - 12/7/2016
- Weekday Walkers - 12/7/2016
- Christmas Cards Workshop - 12/7/2016
- “Once” - 12/7/2016
- Story Time - 12/7/2016