South Side Education News & Notes
CFAM Creative Contests award winners named
DOWNTOWN AKRON — Summit County Children Services (SCCS), the coordinating agency of Child and Family Awareness Month (CFAM), recently announced the names of local students from schools within Summit County who were selected as winners in the 2014 CFAM Creative Contests from more than 300 combined entries.
The winners, each of whom was asked to create an artistic piece honoring the concept of “family,” were recognized at an awards reception at the Akron Art Museum March 29. All winning entries are on display through April at the Akron-Summit County Main Library, 60 S. High St.
The 2014 winners from the South Side News Leader’s coverage area are:
- High School Essay Contest — first place, Jocelyn Claytor, 12th grade, Green High School (GHS); second place, Ashley Griffin, 11th grade, GHS; and third place, Nicole Peters, 11th grade, GHS;
- High School Poetry Contest — first place, Cassie Bivens, 11th grade, GHS; second place, Zachary Schreckenberger, 12th grade, GHS; third place, Stephen Hastings, 11th grade, GHS; and
- High School Jingle Contest — first place, Megan Magensky, 12th grade, GHS.
For more information about CFAM, call SCCS at 330-379-2090 or visit www.summitkids.org or the CFAM Facebook page.
Akron Bar Association presents 12th Annual Street Law Student Summit
DOWNTOWN AKRON — The Akron Bar Association will present its 12th Annual Street Law Student Summit April 28 at the Quaker Square Inn.
The event will bring together about 170 high school students and teachers from Revere, Coventry, Ellet, Shaw, Stow and Tallmadge high schools for a day of activities. The theme of this year’s Student Summit is “American Democracy and the Rule of Law: Why Every Vote Matters.”
The event will open with a keynote address by U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio). Following Brown’s presentation, students from different schools will be placed into small groups to consider and debate various hypothetical legal and public policy dilemmas. These discussions will be facilitated by volunteer judges, attorneys, law professors and law students.
Also on the agenda is an interactive panel titled “Truth or Consequences.” The panel will feature Akron Municipal Court Judge Katarina Cook, Summit County Juvenile Court Judge Linda Teodosio, Brimfield Police Chief David Oliver, Assistant Akron City Prosecutor Tom Bown and local criminal defense attorney Noah Munyer.
After lunch, the students and teachers will observe live oral arguments involving a real criminal case before a three-judge panel of the Ohio Ninth District Court of Appeals. There will be a question-and-answer session with the judges and counsel after court is adjourned.
According to Bar Association officials, Street Law is a national program that promotes the education of law, democracy and human rights in schools and in the community. Since September 2000, the Akron Bar Association’s Street Law Committee has partnered with area high schools to establish Street Law as an elective course. The Street Law Committee supports these schools with textbooks and by assigning resource attorneys and law students to each school. The Street Law Committee also coordinates training and educational events throughout the year for students, teachers and volunteers.
The Student Summit is closed to the public.
Stephanie Kist contributed to these reports.
More Education News
- Firestone’s International Baccalaureate program enters 20th year
- Teacher granted second leave to serve as OEA president
- Fairlawn City Women’s Club makes scholarship awards
- Norton district voters to see levy on November ballot
- West Side Education News & Notes
- BVS awards students with scholarships
- Students enjoy outdoor program
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Nashville Crush with Joshua Surgeon & The Dusty Bottoms - 7/29/2016
- Kathleen Worgul, Carol Klingel, Marjorie Dettling - 7/29/2016
- Three Points of View: Art by Kathleen Worgul, Carol Klingel, Marjorie Dettling - 7/29/2016
- Almost Queen (Queen tribute) with Chris Allen & The Guilty Hearts - 7/29/2016
- Chardon Polka Band - 7/29/2016