Local Mock Trial Team earns ‘Outstanding’ rating at state
|Photo courtesy of St. Hilary School|
The only team from Summit County to compete, the team is comprised of students in the seventh and eighth grades at St. Hilary School. Team members served in the roles of both attorneys and witnesses for the mock trials. This year’s trials were based on the novel “The Giver,” by Lois Lowry.
Adrianna Powers received the Best Prosecuting Attorney Award; Aeri Hong received the Best Defense Attorney Award; and, for the second year in a row, Kareem Muakkassa received the Best Defense Witness Award. All three are eighth-graders.
Other team members included eighth-graders Brandon Bishop, Michael Chmura, Catherine Horvath, Robert Roth and Adam Vaughn and seventh-graders Noah Cook, Patrick Delaney, Merideth Vieson and Rachel Wasik. Coached by Akron Municipal Court Judge Katarina Cook, with the assistance of faculty advisers Tracey Arnone, principal, and Nathan Baxendale, assistant principal, the team competed at the Ohio Supreme Court in two mock trials and was one of only 11 teams to receive an “Outstanding” rating, and one of only seven teams to win all of the judges’ score sheets.
Shown above, the St. Hilary School Mock Trial Team prepares for competition.
More Education News
- ‘Conceptual agreement’ reached with Copley teachers union
- Revere board approves lunch price increase
- Woodridge seeking raffle car to help fund activities
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Green offering breakfast for all students
- APS focus on digital needs, offerings
- Manchester officials considering new bus purchase
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014