Norton board hears update on building project
The Norton City Schools Board of Education heard an update on the district’s building project during the May 19 meeting.
Business Manager Ken Caldwell gave the board members an update and said preliminary drafts of the site plan and floor plan have been submitted, a bat study will be conducted beginning sometime after June 1 to test if there are any endangered bats nesting in the area and Phase I of the environmental study on the area has been completed.
The board approved an agreement with CT Taylor to be the construction manager at risk for the building project.
Also during the meeting, the board approved the following, among other items:
- an administrative contract for Grill Elementary School Principal Brady Sackett. The contract will run Aug. 1 through July 31, 2016;
- several supplemental head coaching positions for the 2014-15 school year: Brian Miller, faculty manager; John Tanksley, high school football; Austin Petit, high school cross country; John Pritchard, high school girls golf; Jason Genis, high school boys soccer; Rod Swartz, high school boys basketball; Brian Miller, high school girls basketball; John Tanksley, high school winter and summer weight room training; and Amy Kersten, high school football and basketball cheerleading;
- noncertified/nonlicensed head coaching positions for the 2014-15 school year: Todd Haynes, high school boys golf; Eugene Leonard, high school wrestling; Mike Sayre, high school bowling; Angie Carretta, high school girls tennis; Christine Walker, high school volleyball;
- the hiring of Lauren Butcher for the Middle School Summer Intervention Program;
- two teachers, Tracy Ranier and Cindy Addis, for the Kindergarten Readiness positions for the summer;
- the retirements of Roberta Leidy, middle school educational aide; Norton Middle School fifth-grade math teacher Sharlene Stouffer; and Norton Primary School second-grade teacher Amelia Panchumarti;
- several minor policy changes. For a full list, visit www.nortonschools.org; and
- the list of graduates upon the completion of graduation requirements for the 2013-14 school year.
The next regular board meeting is set for June 16 at 7:30 p.m. in the Norton High School Media Center, 4108 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road.
More Education News
- Norton board raises lunch prices for next school year
- Copley-Fairlawn board honors retirees
- Rachel’s Challenge helps others
- Results of Highland phone survey revealed
- Local high schools ranked by U.S. News & World Report
- Green district predicting healthy finances
- Board OKs new administration team for Coventry High School
- Manchester BOE OKs purchase of buses
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Electric Pressure Cooker Open Mic - 5/22/2015
- Lil’ Sprouts - 5/22/2015
- Kathy Johnson Trio - 5/22/2015
- Ron Kalinoski on “How to Grind Your Own Telescope Mirror”: Astronomy Club of Akron - 5/22/2015
- Wanted with Rock Brigade - 5/22/2015