Revere district decides against property purchase
At the Revere Local Schools Board of Education May 20 meeting, board members unanimously decided not to move forward with the purchase of property located at 2636 Brecksville Road.
Board members have been in discussion for several months about the possible purchase of the property, which the district was planning to use as a new bus garage.
Board members, along with Treasurer David Forrest and Superintendent Randy Boroff, took a brief executive session, and when they returned, they announced the district would no longer move forward with the purchase of the property.
Board member George Seifert explained the decision not to move forward was in the best interest of the district financially, and the money that would have been spent to purchase the property could be better spent in other ways.
Also during the meeting, the board approved a two-year contract for William Conley as the new district athletic director with an annual salary of $79,500. He will replace current Athletic Director Bill Schumacher, who is retiring at the end of July.
Boroff expressed his excitement in bringing Conley to the district and noted his enthusiasm and passion for children will make him a great addition to Revere.
According to district officials, Conley currently is the athletic director and assistant high school principal at Chippewa High School in Doylestown. He has a bachelor’s degree in special education from The University of Akron, a master’s degree in teaching from Marygrove College and another master’s degree in educational administration from Ashland University. He also has a superintendent’s license from Ashland.
Conley has five years of experience teaching and coaching at the middle school level, in addition to 10 years of high school experience, according to district officials.
Also during the meeting, the board approved:
- the retirement resignation of Debra Turner, a school counselor at Bath Elementary School;
- the following resignations: Brandon Decker, science teacher at Revere High School, and Beth Harrington, assistant principal at Hillcrest Elementary School;
- a few changes of employment due to staff leaving and combining different positions. The board approved the resignation of Kendra Quinlan as a school counselor at Hillcrest Elementary School, contingent upon her approval as a school counselor at Revere Middle School. The board also approved a pay raise of $5,000 for Christine Thomas, EMIS (Education Management Information System) and registrar, as she takes on responsibility for most of the duties of the retiring secretary to the director of student services;
- several supplemental contracts for athletics for the 2014-15 school year, including varsity head coach positions for the following: Mike Murphey, football; Jenna Steyer, volleyball; Dave Parry, boys cross country and boys track; Jason Milczewski and Ashley Elias, girls cross country; Dean Rahas, boys basketball; Kevin Verde, girls basketball; Dan Mosher, wrestling; Jason Cottrell, baseball; Sandor Jakab, boys soccer; Dave Howson, girls soccer; Kathy Shisler, girls tennis; Deanne Pastva, swimming; Terry Cistone, girls track; Jason Hance, boys golf; and Kelly Staats, cheerleading;
- substitute teachers and other employees;
- modifications to the five-year forecast. According to Forrest, the five-year forecast is submitted twice a year, and the district is right on track for where it wants to be;
- the selection of CompManagement Health Systems for Workers’ Compensation services as the required managed care organization for a two-year period;
- the sale of six buses;
- a motion to file a counter complaint against commercial properties in the district that have filed to reduce their property valuation and now have filed complaints stating they were taxed too high (if the commercial properties’ complaints are approved, the district could potentially lose out on up to $58,000 of tax revenue, according to district officials);
- approved authorizing the Revere All-Sports Boosters to sell athletic passes;
- an agreement with Tremco to provide patch and repair services to the roofs of all district buildings. Once the initial repairs are completed, Tremco will be on call for the district to repair any new issues that may arise in the future, according to district officials;
- an agreement with NaviGate Prepared to provide updated accurate building floor plans;
- a transfer of funds that had been collected for maintenance of the rental property located on Hametown Road. Now that the district no longer owns the property, the funds will be transferred into a new fund and may be used however the board sees fit, according to district officials;
- a new fund called the Bath Business Association Scholarship Fund;
- the engineering fees for the east wall of Bath Elementary School. According to Forrest, the wall is slowly moving away from the supports and while it doesn’t pose any immediate danger, it needs to be fixed before the new school year;
- six stipends for services provided for the Revere High School production of “Beauty and the Beast”;
- bus trips for day camp participants;
- the 2014-15 school year student handbooks for all grades; and
- the annual resolution for membership in the Ohio High School Athletic Association.
The board will meet for a special meeting June 17 (date subject to change) at 5:30 p.m. in the Administration Building, 3496 Everett Road, and for its regular meeting June 24 at 6:30 p.m. in the Revere High School Library, 3420 Everett Road.
More Education News
- Firestone’s International Baccalaureate program enters 20th year
- Teacher granted second leave to serve as OEA president
- Fairlawn City Women’s Club makes scholarship awards
- Norton district voters to see levy on November ballot
- West Side Education News & Notes
- BVS awards students with scholarships
- Students enjoy outdoor program
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Tower of Power with Get On Up - 7/30/2016
- Zentangle Club - 7/30/2016
- Turtle/Tortoise Races: ages 5 and up with adult - 7/30/2016
- Heinz Poll Summer Dance Festival: Verb Ballets - 7/30/2016
- Survivor Family - 7/30/2016