Revere Middle School students Pay It Forward
|Photo courtesy of Bunny Oldham|
The 56 students and 17 parent chaperones spread out among eight teams in the Montrose area for the fourth annual Pay It Forward event. The students raised money all year to buy gift cards and gifts to hand out, along with donations from local merchants. More than $1,000 worth of gift cards, cash and merchandise was handed out, according to organizers.
Pay It Forward recipients were asked to consider starting their own chain reaction by paying it forward with another random act of kindness to someone else.
Rachel’s Challenge is inspired by Rachel Scott, the first victim in the Columbine High School shooting in 1999.
Students spend the year taking on topics of inclusion, compassion, random acts of kindness, creating positive attitudes and the importance of gratitude. The year culminates in the spring Pay It Forward day, where participants can take these lessons and make a real world impact in the community.
Shown above, from left, RMS eighth-graders Mandy Kraynak, Rachel Peyton, Kate Stanoch (in back), Emily Gruich, Nathalie Marks, Alyssa Gruich and Alex Albanese surprised a Pay It Forward recipient, shown at center, with a Subway gift card.
A group of sixth-graders roamed Toys “R” Us, giving out $5 gift cards and hand-made jewelry to shoppers of all ages. Students at the GETGO gas station were introduced to a double amputee waiting in the car and gave her a pair of earrings donated by Cookie Lee Jewelry. The cashiers from Giant Eagle were treated to a selection of candy bars.
Rachel’s Challenge is led by parent mentors Dorothy Gruich, Betty Lin-Fisher, Bunny Oldham and Sara Stanoch and teacher Joan Lyon.
More Education News
- APS instructor wins national award
- Two educational assistants added at Norton Primary
- Elms hosts neuroscience professor for student seminar
- Highland teachers, student recognized for outdoor education efforts
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Woodridge High School music students perform at Disney World
- NEOMED students offer hands-on learning
- Manchester taking steps for levies in May
- Springfield district working to help students improve
- Girls of Green collects items to benefit mothers in need
Calendar of Events
- Celebrate the Season - 12/19/2014
- Movie Matinee - 12/19/2014
- Tales for Tots - 12/19/2014
- Holiday Open House - 12/20/2014
- Wildlife and Wood Workshop: Bird Feeder - 12/20/2014